correct cw hatchets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct cw hatchets

I have been looking for pictures of correct style hatchets and axes on the internet with no luck...can anyone help?
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: correct cw hatchets

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...hlight=hatchet
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant; THANKYOU!!! You have really helped me out, from the photos ,I have 4 or 5 correct hatchets and heads to choose from. You've been a great help plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul Boccadoro did the research, I just posted the link.

Check out the LR's research section. Several articles related to common hand tools.

http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/index.html
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

several of the images shown are of the roofing hatchet if it matters. you might do well to look for a smith to forge one for you if you know of someone. most of the smith made heads were of low carbon iron with steel forge welded into the edge. you can often see the weld in period pieces.
          john greg tucker
          Greg Tucker

Comment

You may have a tough time finding someone to blacksmith for you right Paul???? ;) ;) lol
            Dan Chmelar
            Semper Fi
            -ONV
            -WIG
            -CIR!

Comment

Is Paul rough on blacksmiths?
              john tucker
              Greg Tucker

Comment

I'm not only rough on blacksmiths...I are one. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Yes sir, I see this is in the cavalry discussion but how bout this one with the handle strap...
                  Last edited by yeoman; 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM.
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Where be it?
                    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Yes sir, the hatchet is on the cannon carriage.
                      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hi there muley John, If your asking about the hidden hatchet... look on the front of the connon carriage. It looks very similar to a roofer hatchet, but it has two metal exstentions running down the sides of the handle that are part of the head itself. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Our friend has many leather tabs and strips nailed to his wagon like that, they hold a double headed axe a hatchet a shovel and he keeps a roofing hatchet under the foot shelf. Just in case something gets in the way. Really came in handy at ITV.
                          John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                          "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

It's funny how things work out, I asked for info on CW hatchets and now I have three correct ones , then found three period sqr. spades , with the wooden "D" handles and the same in a scoop shovel. I know I have [or think I still have it] a correct CW pick. To much hardware for a cavalry guy, but I feel blessed I have them and not someone who would sell them for scrap steel. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

Working...
                            X