Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of interesting details in this picture

Cavalry Officer Group
    Look at the guy on the left, kinda plays heck with the "small wiry cavalryman" standard. And is he wearing a shirt under his vest?Darn farby floppy hats too.
    Last edited by KyCavMajor; 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM. Reason: picture didn't show up...
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Re: Lots of interesting details in this picture

Hi,

You might want to mention the actual caption to this Library of Congress image:

"Westover Landing, Va. Col. James H. Childs (standing) with other officers of the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry."

The photo was reportedly made in August 1862. You can see an earlier image of Childs, in full uniform, posing in front of a camp scene backdrop, here:

Sorry to say, Childs was KIA at Antietam a few weeks after he appeared in this photo.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I'd be cautious in flaunting this photo to those who would use it as justification to over-represent floppy, droopy hats, as well as expanded girth.....

Regards,
      -Mike Montgomery
      [FONT=Arial][B]Mike Montgomery[/B][FONT=Arial]
      [/FONT]
      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by markj
        Hi,

You might want to mention the actual caption to this Library of Congress image:

"Westover Landing, Va. Col. James H. Childs (standing) with other officers of the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry."

The photo was reportedly made in August 1862. You can see an earlier image of Childs, in full uniform, posing in front of a camp scene backdrop, here:

Sorry to say, Childs was KIA at Antietam a few weeks after he appeared in this photo.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Thank you Mark,
        I was given this photo via email with no source quoted, I am glad to have the info for my files.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by msmjr
          I'd be cautious in flaunting this photo to those who would use it as justification to over-represent floppy, droopy hats, as well as expanded girth.....

Regards,
          -Mike Montgomery

I think you hit that nail right on the head as far as the purpose of this post.
          Rick Bailey
          Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Working...
          X