Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mighty fine "new" images of Federal horse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty fine "new" images of Federal horse....

Hello fellas!

WOW! Some really neat photos have surfaced (at least to me) that I would like to share with all of you. Through the kindness of Mark Susnis I am posting the following photos but first allow me to credit Mike Medhurst for them too as I believe he is the owner of at least two of the images.

The first, was for sale at Heritage Auctions who provided the following description......

1. Rare Carte-De-Visite View Of A Small Group Of Mounted Louisiana Troops In The Center of A Town Identified As "Head Quarters Huntsville, Ala." Troops certainly appear to be Confederate exhibiting a variety of uniforms and carrying a variety of weapons including one soldier with a rifled musket on a sling carried muzzle down. Corners slightly clipped, else pristine quality and condition. An important and probably unique view. No backmark but period script ID below image and later pencil ID on verso.

COMMENTS: I do NOT believe this is Confederate. While the uniforms are a bit “un-uniform” as is the horse equipment, this plus the prevalence of kepis, sack coats and my "gut" strongly suggest Federal “western” cavalry to me.
    This is wonderful photo showing mounted troopers caring 3 band rifles “slung” over their shoulders with carbine slings. Obviously a rare image this is the first really good evidence of this type of weapon carriage that I have seen. I also note the “deserters” with their hands tied to the saddles and the “Texas” or “Spanish” style saddle of the second from left trooper. All cool huh?

2. Wagon Scene: This one appears to be a Quartermaster or perhaps ordnance wagon. COMMENTS: Not much unique here but it is a good example of a typical wagon with mules and teamster riding the left wheel horse (mule).

3. This photo is of a company of New York Cavalry although I am not sure which regiment. COMMENTS: I believe these to be eastern theater cavalry, what is unique to me is the use of blanket roles. I also note the variety of hats and the candid dress among the civilians. Good photo.

4. Here is a photo of a Charles Noe, officer of the USCT troops. His martial bearing and confident look is inspiring.

5. Last but certainly not least is a photo of what I believe to be Federal officers (no way to know if they are infantry or cavalry).
    COMMENTS: what is very unique is the saddle blanket and bridle of the foremost soldier. These are very similar to cloth covered pressed felt pads that I remember riding as a youth and that are still available today. I have known that these type saddle pads were farily common to the period but have not seen much in the way of photos of them. Now, imagine a reeanctor employing one? Can you hear the uproar? Yet, its quite authentic.
    The bit is a very common double rein bit (could be a port or snaffle) with bit/bridoon type double bridle. The buckles are brass or brass sheathed horse shoe shaped. Remember officer’s equipments were private purchase.

Really nice images!!

Wadyathink? Comments?

I will be posting these to my web site along with some other news ones I have filed recently.

Ken R Knopp
    Attached Files

Re: Mighty fine "new" images of Federal horse....

Wow. Talk about riding long!

Remember to sign your posts with your first and last name.

-Tyler Underwood
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 05-05-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Blowing up the photo of the "small group of mounted troops..." I can also make out what appears to be a crupper on the horse on the far left. Also, the single figure standing by the building and the the three men standing on the balcony also seem to be Federal.
      Mike Ventura
      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

I think the variety of headgear in the second image is rather interesting.
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Very cool Ken, thanks for sharing them with us... Z
          [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
          [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

I agree, the troopers in those 1st two CDVs are definately Federals, just Western types. Remember, Huntsvill was occupied by Federal troops as early as April 1862.
            Scott Cross
            "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I never noticed this the first time you posted this, Ken, but if you look at photo 5 of 6, (the one with the unique bridle), it looks as though the fender on the near side leathers is spun around backwards.

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thanks for sharing really enjoyed it
                Dale Champion

Comment

"1. Rare Carte-De-Visite View Of A Small Group Of Mounted Louisiana Troops In The Center of A Town Identified As "Head Quarters Huntsville, Ala." Troops certainly appear to be Confederate exhibiting a variety of uniforms and carrying a variety of weapons including one soldier with a rifled musket on a sling carried muzzle down. Corners slightly clipped, else pristine quality and condition. An important and probably unique view. No backmark but period script ID below image and later pencil ID on verso.

COMMENTS: I do NOT believe this is Confederate. While the uniforms are a bit “un-uniform” as is the horse equipment, this plus the prevalence of kepis, sack coats and my "gut" strongly suggest Federal “western” cavalry to me.
                  This is wonderful photo showing mounted troopers caring 3 band rifles “slung” over their shoulders with carbine slings. Obviously a rare image this is the first really good evidence of this type of weapon carriage that I have seen. I also note the “deserters” with their hands tied to the saddles and the “Texas” or “Spanish” style saddle of the second from left trooper. All cool huh?"

They could be mounted infantry; very common in the western and Gulf theaters.
                  Will Hickox

Comment

Yes, you've got to love a period with pictorial evidence to supplement artist impressions and uniform regulations.

Regards,

Nibs
                    Stephen Bennett
                    Odense, Denmark
                    Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Working...
                    X