Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early docs on Federal Picket Pin

Steve-

I'd agree with your thoughts regarding some troopers' ability and/or willingness to demand accountability from m their mounts, although I don't believe it's nearly as much an issue on the campaigner side of the hobby.

As far as safety becoming an excuse for inauthenticity, or certain practices being "worth the risk"...it seems to me that much of that is beyond our control as participants, depending on the host site. Like it or not, we are oftentimes at the mercy of what a particular insurance provider will allow...unfortunately, it has come down to that.

I'd like to see bayonets, too... but I understand why there are none...it only takes one to ruin it for all,as they say. I think we potentially find ourselves in the same position.

The other figurative "rabbit hole", as I see it, is perception. What we are accustomed to is all to often at the opposite end of the spectrum from those who are unfamiliar. Negligence is very subjective, depending on one's perspective.

I know here its difficult enough for consideration for inclusion in an event as it is for other reasons as it is (space, landowner permission, etc). The first chance something happens that is perceived to have been avoidable, that could seal the deal for good regarding future events.

I agree with your position...I just believe location and circumstance have to be considered as well.
    Jeff Nichols
    Valley Light Horse

Comment

Jeff,

Well said and couldn't agree more.

In an attempt to get back to the main intent of this thread (my fault, sorry)....Does anyone have an idea what the 1'10" strap in the middle of the picture of the first post is for?
      Steven Dacus
      Casper, Wyoming
      11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

My best guess is that the strap is for bundling up the rope around the pin. I've never seen anyone with that strap reproduced for their picket pin rope set up, but it would make sense. That and/or to attach the rope to the saddle. Most of us who carry the pin end up with it in a nose bag. If you had other stuff in your nose bag, being able to tie it to the saddle, via a purpose built strap, would be useful.

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry

- - - Updated - - -

To add to the discussion of high line picket lining vs the leg hobble: Both may be farby, but I am willing to wager that the leg hobble is actually closer to actual historical practice than is the high line. It would simply be impossible to picket even one regiment of cavalry horses in an open field situation like most of VA in the war years. Picketing a brigade or division would only amplify the problem. Putting a horse out of a ground line, or perhaps just letting them free graze would be more likely. If we were to set our animals free at most reenactments we all know that they'd eventually run off. But then our animals are well rested and fresh, not beat up and exhausted as horses in active service would be.

So I would argue that using the picket pin and lariet are the most historical option, but that the line and hobble are a close second in terms of authenticity compared to the traditional reenactment high line on campaign. But yes, as has been pointed out, horse care and safety a paramount concern.

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Tom Craig

Comment

Fun to be back on the AC! Just a couple of quick notes. There's no mention of that proposed strap in ordnance reports, so I'm guessing the proposal for either a lashing strap or a halter-connection strap was rejected. As for issues of picket pins and lariats, regimental ordnance reports show them to be pretty scarce in the field, at least in the east. So check your regiment (and time of service) before carrying. I think the picket line was pretty common, especially in early years of the war. By 1864, on campaign, there are numerous accounts of sleeping underfoot with reins looped around the wrist. Horses and men were so exhausted that nothing moved. And, from way back in this thread, the lariat dimension is indeed a circumference of 4-strand hemp line. We've frequently used my hemp lariat as part of a picket line and it's always held up (though a manila line of similar dimension snapped on us one night).
          Andrew German

Comment

Working...
          X