Interesting cavalry shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting cavalry shotgun

Those on horseback and carrying of long arms are of the Mounted Riflemen, who were to ride to the action, dismount and fight as infantry.
    One problem with absolute statements is that they are almost always demonstrably false. Attached is a picture of an informational sign from the Mine Creek (Osage) Battlefield. Although it is difficult to read in this picture, a quote from Brigadier General M. Jeff Thompson, Thompson's Brigade, reads, "The impossibility of loading Enfield rifles on horseback now became apparent again... when the enemy charged... there was nothing to do but retreat."

In one of the largest cavalry battles of the war, you had the Confederate forces "armed almost entirely with long muzzle loading Enfield rifles." (Buresh, Lumir F., October 25th and the Battle of Mine Creek, Lowell Press (1977) p. 93)

I would agree that Price should have used his men as mounted infantry rather than cavalry, but that does not change the fact that he did not, and we have what amounts to a cavalry force armed with infantry weapons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine Run Display Board.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	224757
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Comment

I have the book mentioned and shotguns were indeed fitted with rings at the arsenals for cavalry use. Not all but it was common enough.
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

Exactly which book is that? Love to see the specifics on that
        Jeff Nichols
        Valley Light Horse

Comment

Originally posted by IowaYank View Post
          I would disagree that you would get rid of a full length rifle in favor of a civilian shotgun. In fact many commands throughout the war were doing the opposite. A shotgun has a very limited range compared to a full length rifle.
          Some of the Rangers in fact did swap their Shotguns for captured Spencers and the like, but when specialized ammo ran dry they went back to the Shotgun.

I have read several accounts where the Yankee's were charging with Sabers in hand only to be blasted from the saddle by a line of Rangers wielding Shotguns.

The 8th Texas Cavalry aka Terry's Texas Rangers were the Shock Troops for General Forrest, we make him look good.
          Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

Working...
          X