Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbine Slings

Gents,
    Could anyone direct me to a maker of authentic style carbine slings? Much obliged!!
    Jeff Rice

Re: Carbine Slings

Originally posted by Majpain
    Gents,
    Could anyone direct me to a maker of authentic style carbine slings? Much obliged!!
    Jeff Rice
    Jeff
    If this is what you are looking for:

Send me an e-mail. t.schultz5@verizon.net
    Terry
    Last edited by ; 04-11-2004, 08:41 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Gee, I hope not, like THAT one.

A Jarigan sling is better and more correctly made than the one pictured.
      Burgess makes a nice one, but make sure it's in stock or it may take a while.
      The Skillet licker may have some,
      Doung Kidd makes 'em, but I never took note of their quality.
      and several other folks all make them as they were made without embellishing them to their own tastes in some way.

Everyone mentioned above, and a few more, can be found at:
      1st Maine Cavalry (aka 2nd Maine Cavalry) Company A, an American Civil War Living History Group
      Last edited by GeraldTodd; 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM. Reason: ammending
      Gerald Todd
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Gents,

Without slinging mud, I second the motion by Mr. Todd.

Regards,

Neill Rose
        PLHA/Iron Scouts
        Love & Wienges

Comment

Gerald
          I wasn’t aware that anything was wrong with this sling. Can you elaborate so that maybe I can correct it or so that I will know what to look for when I replace it? I could not find one on the Jarnigan web site to look at.
          Terry
          Last edited by ; 04-11-2004, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Terry......Two things real quickly. The tip piece is attached to the leather with three small rivits. and the shown stitching is NOT appropriate. I can only presume it is stitching for the buckle. The correct stitching at the buckle is three straight lines of stitching at @ 8 stitches to the inch evenly spaced over the width of the sling. @ 2 inches of the belt is folded back over itself at the buckle and then stitched in the three lines with a cross hatch stitch to jump to each line of stitch and finished. Ditto on Jerry's note.

Best

Lester (The Elder)

Lester Schumacher

Comment

Lester
              Would you happen to have a picture of the stitching and rivet placement? My e-mail is t.schultz5@verizon.net
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by major
                Lester
                Would you happen to have a picture of the stitching and rivet placement? My e-mail is t.schultz5@verizon.net
                Terry
                I would very much like to see it as well, I am going to make a run of them for our unit. I THINK I am doing it right, but confirmation is always a good thing !!
                Also, are Jarnigans Buckles and tips close ?
                What is the correct weight/thickness of the leather.
                Last edited by KyCavMajor; 04-12-2004, 09:01 AM. Reason: had another question
                [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

It ain't high art, but I'm not at home to take a photo, so here's a quicky sketch... it's not to scale and only intended to show the general appearance. You're looking at the back (undyed) side of the sling on the buckle end, and the front face on the tip (left side of image).

The circles between the lines of stitching are rivets. I have seen originals with and without those rivets. I've never seen one with JUST rivets and no stitching, though such a thing may have existed - I just haven't seen one.

The rivets holding the "batwing" tip have round heads.

None of the originals I've seen had any decrorative marks or edging, including the pressed border line. The edges were all clean cut, and slightly chamfered. Again, that's not conclusive, just what I've seen myself.

The dimensions, weight, and construction can be found in the ordnance manual.
                  Attached Files
                  Gerald Todd
                  1st Maine Cavalry
                  Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Tod
                    I found these two pictures on the internet the first is from 1885 but the stitching may be similar. The brass tip looks slightly smaller then the 1860 version. How close are we on this Lester?

Terry

Comment

Gerald
                      Thanks for the drawing. I notices 3 rivets in your drawing. The picture I have from www.horsesoldier.com shows 4. It also shows veining on the edges. Do you think this could just be variations in manufacturers? That double X is a very tricky stitch I don't know if I can duplicate it. Did all the originals you have seen have the double X? If the X was at different ends on each row that would make more sense. Such as below. Also what is the width of or you sling? Mine is 2 1/4 inches.

Terry

Comment

The cross over stitch is extremely simple and is one of the basics that someone making these items needs to know. All you need to do is thread the thread around itself when making the stitches at the bottom of the turn back. It cannot be done on a machine.
                        Jim Kindred

Comment

Terry,
                          The last photo (not the drawing) is an Indian Wars sling.
                          Tod,
                          You can find original buckles and tips for reasonable prices and snap swivels for that matter. If you are going to make reproductions it is very important to view/handle originals. It is not rocket science but it is an art form, things were done much different than they would be today. Just finding the correct thread can be a long search.
                          Coley Adair
                          Critter Company

Comment

Jim
                            I understand how to do it if there are two rows of stiching but 3 rows has got be stumped, unless they are at opposite ends like in my post. Is there a way to get the two exes at the same end with 3 rows?
                            Terry

Comment

Yep, just have to plan ahead with your stitches. Take a close look at an original piece sewn in this manner, it isn't that hard to copy.
                              Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                              X