young horse saddle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• young horse saddle question

My colt is coming four years old in march. Tennessee walker with typical walker build. I have been working toward building a Texas saddle for my western theater impression. It occurs to me that he has a good bit of growing to go, so what do you guys do when purchasing or building a saddle for a young, still growing horse? It honestly never occurred to me that it might not fit him for too much longer. All my previous horses have been older, and finished growing. Never thought of this till now.
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: young horse saddle question

Greg,
    I have used the same saddle on my walker since he was just getting a saddle cinched up on him. He is 6 now and I started cinching a saddle on him when he was maybe under two. Didn't ride him that young, just started putting a saddle on him and leading him around. I was riding him by three again with the same saddle. I compensated with double blankets. Yes, he grew more between 4 and 5 but it was more rounding out then anything else. I would look to use the blankets to help fit if you think he will still grow some more.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

At 4 he will grow some but like people, he will fill out and then loose with work and fill out again when not in use. Good on your head for wanting to be sure that the saddle fits, lots of folks don't give it that much thought. I ride a walker and use a wider tree on my Texas saddle , but watch the sweat pattern on his back every time I take the saddle off looking for an even wetness and no dry spots. Be sure the saddle fits now and I'll bet it will be fine as he ages. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Thank you so much men! I really do appreciate it.
        Greg Tucker
        Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
        X