Federal Carbine Sling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Carbine Sling question

I have a question about appropriate styles of carbine slings.

I have seen slings made in some different styles - especially with regard to the buckles, which appear to be both single-prong and two-prong, and with prongs both rounded and somewhat sharp/pointed.

Does anyone know what is appropriate for Federal cavalry in the AOP 1862-64? I have not found a very definitive answer anywhere.

A sub-question would be recommended makers/suppliers for whatever style is correct...
    Don McArthur-Self

Re: Federal Carbine Sling question

Don,
    I can't say I have seen an original federal sling with a single prong. All the ones I have come across have the two prongs and the bat wing. The points, can't say too much on that cause I don't think I paid as much attention to the points or rounded off. Google slings and you can get a bunch of pictures of originals. If you see one with a single prong and many many more with the double prong, I would recommend getting one with a double prong. As far as makers, I have an early rough side out one from Jarnigan that I feel is a very well made and correct feel item. I know some of other Jarnigan stuff is not that great, but my sling is very good. Duvall used to make them, but not sure he still does.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Rob's right. There are serviceable originals to be had, as well. There's one on Ebay right now for around eighty dollars.
      Jeff Nichols
      Valley Light Horse

Comment

Thanks for the information. After posting, I was able to get my hands on a copy of the "Echoes of Glory" set, and the visible buckles on the Federal troopers are definitely two-pronged. The single prong seems to show up more on Confederate products. I have found a used copy of that set and ordered it for future reference; those images appear to match closely with what Jarnigan offers on their web page.

At the moment I'm waiting on some photos from a re-enactor who is leaving Civil War for WWII, and says he has some used slings available. I'll compare what he has to the images.
        Don McArthur-Self

Comment

Hi Don,

I can't say that I've seen an original CW federal carbine sling with just one prong. Likewise, all of the originals that I've seen have had more pointy prongs than rounded ones. I've seen lots of repros with rounded prongs however.

So, you'll want to go with one that has more pointed prongs. And it also should have the "bat wings" on the end of the strap. For that time period the smooth out "bridle" leather is the most common and accurate, although it would also be appropriate to have a "buff" leather sling, although those are more expensive and harder to come by.

Many reproduction slings on the market are of very poor quality in leather and hardware. If you're buying from a 2nd hand source, buyer beware.
          Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

Perhaps you were seeing the m1885 carbine sling which had a single-prong buckle on a narrower strap?
            Originally posted by dpu1990 View Post
            I have a question about appropriate styles of carbine slings.

I have seen slings made in some different styles - especially with regard to the buckles, which appear to be both single-prong and two-prong, and with prongs both rounded and somewhat sharp/pointed.

Does anyone know what is appropriate for Federal cavalry in the AOP 1862-64? I have not found a very definitive answer anywhere.

A sub-question would be recommended makers/suppliers for whatever style is correct...
            Paul McKee

Comment

My 2 prong Confederate Sling is an exact copy of a known original.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 9.26.58 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	225254

An Original Federal Spencer and Sling
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharps and Sling 2nd IA.png
Views:	1
Size:	810.4 KB
ID:	225255
              Last edited by JLH; 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM.
              Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

Working...
              X