Burnside Blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnside Blanks

I am in the process of restoring a 5th model Burnside to firing condition. I prefer to not carry originals while riding, but there are a couple of events I will be attending without my horse :cry_smile , and the Burnside would be fun. I've pretty much planned to make blanks by filling Burnside cartridge cases with FFg and sealing it with a plug of green florist foam. If there is anyone with any experience in using a Burnside with blanks, I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Steven Platteter
    Co. C, 1st Wisc. Cav

Re: Burnside Blanks

Very cool. I haven't fired a Burnside so can't answer your question, but I am curious where you got your cartridge casings . . .

Ken Morris
    10th Regt of Cavalry NYSV.

Comment

Originally posted by 10nycav
      Very cool. I haven't fired a Burnside so can't answer your question, but I am curious where you got your cartridge casings . . .

Ken Morris
      10th Regt of Cavalry NYSV.
      From S&S Firearms, 718-497-1100, not cheap but should last forever.
      Steven Platteter
      Co. C, 1st Wisc. Cav

Comment

Are the Burnside cases the ones that are brass and shaped sorta like a small ice cream cone?
        I have been using an original Sharps & Hankins that I converted to center fire and soldered in a 2 inch sleve so it can fire 44-40 blanks. It is a real kick to be in the field with an original....., if only they could talk.
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by major
          Are the Burnside cases the ones that are brass and shaped sorta like a small ice cream cone?
          Yes, Terry...they are, but don't eat them! I've fired these many time using original casings and the only thing I can tell you is...beware the blowback!

Using originals in the field is another story altogether. I used to carry an original '59 sharps w/ patchbox on horseback. Talk about inappropriate. I actually wore a gouge into the stock from where my carbine sling would rub against it while riding. This was about 10 years ago. Would never think of it now!

Chris
          Last edited by CJSchumacher; 04-16-2004, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchumacher
            I actually wore a gouge into the stock from where my carbine sling would rub against it while riding. Chris
            Chris
            When I was using my Repro. Spencer I ran into the same problem. The swivel hook started to wear a mark on the stock. But on my Sharps & Hankins I have not had that problem. I think it because it hangs differently and it weighs so much less. Another filler you might want to try to plug the end of your blanks is Vermiculite. It compacts very good and disappears when fired. You can get it at the garden store and it is very cheap.
            FYI here is a picture of the S&H.
            Terry
            Last edited by ; 04-16-2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Another way of making Burnside blanks is to seal the end with cigarette paper and waterglass (sodium silicate). It's a little more labor-intensive, and works about the same as florist's foam anyway.

Several folks recently got into a rather hot discussion on another board about using vermiculite as a cartridge filler. The general gist was that almost all expanded vermiculite contains at least traces of asbestos, and airborne vermiculite is a respiratory hazard. If you google search for "expanded vermiculite MSDS" you'll find the Material Safety Data Sheet for vermiculite, and it lists the possible health risks. The conclusion of the discussion was, why use something that is potentially hazardous when there are safer alternatives. Just food for thought.
              Michael McComas
              drudge-errant

Comment

Michael
                Thanks for the information I never knew about the asbestos in vermiculite. I have been using it for Smith blanks for a couple of years. I just did a search and found this page http://www.schundler.com/verm-asb.htm in part it read that "Vermiculite itself does not contain asbestos, it was just the Libby, Montana mine which was contaminated because of the presence of a very unstable secondary mineral called diopside".
                Where was the other discussion? I would like to read it.
                Terry
                Last edited by ; 04-17-2004, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Just in passing...

I once owned an original Maynard carbine with "swivel" wear/damage.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Terry,

The other discussion was on a BPCR reloading board, and it got deleted because the discussion turned uncivil. The high points were:

-The Libby mine at one point accounted for 90% of the world's production, so if you've got a bag of the stuff sitting around in the garage, it's probably contaminated with asbestos. Check the production date.
                    -If you go out tomorrow and buy a bag, it's probably not contaminated with asbestos, but there are the other health risks (eye irritation, inhalation hazards, etc.). See the MSDS.
                    -There are organic alternatives that perform just as well.

It comes down to how much risk is acceptable for the added benefits versus an organic substitute? Most shooters I know are very risk-averse, so the answer is it's not worth it. Your milage may vary.
                    Michael McComas
                    drudge-errant

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stay with florist foam as it is rather easy to work with.

For riding I prefer using replicas. I started out as dismounted (we have to start somewhere, and I love cav weapons) and was using a Merrill my father and I had restored. When I started riding, I decided I didn't want to chance a piece of history, that was also dear to me, on a horse. I purchased a Taylor Spencer and a Pietta Smith to use for riding. The Spencer is my main weapon and it is showing saddle and saddle ring wear, so I am glad I decided to not to ride with the Merrill.

The Burnside is a fifth model. Serial # is 3751. It is what is known as a "Model of 1864" and was produced while Burnside was tooling up to produce Spencers. Tony Beck, of NSSA fame, helped me research the serial number and although we were unable to get an exact issuance we were able to find these numbers around it:
                      3583 - - 63 - CO G 1ST MD VOL CAV -
                      3587 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      3616 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      3648 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      3659 - - 64 - CO A LOUDOUN COUNTY RANGERS -
                      3659 - - 65 - CO A LOUDOUN COUNTY RANGERS -
                      3669 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      3683 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      3724 - - 64 - CO G 14TH PENNA VOL CAV -
                      3763 - - 040065 - CO E 6TH ILL VOL CAV –
                      3945 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      4000 - - 64 - CO B 2ND ILL VOL CAV -
                      4017 - - 04 63 - CO L 5TH OHIO VOL CAV -
                      4116 - - 040065 - CO E 6TH ILL VOL CAV -
                      4126 - - 04 63 - CO L 5TH OHIO VOL CAV -
                      4162 - - 04 63 - CO L 5TH OHIO VOL CAV -
                      4181 - - 04 63 - CO L 5TH OHIO VOL CAV -
                      4228 - - 64 - CO A LOUDOUN COUNTY RANGERS -
                      4267 - - 04 63 - CO L 5TH OHIO VOL CAV -
                      4355 - - 02 64 - CO L 11TH NY VOL CAV –

It would be interesting if it had been issued to the Loudoun Rangers. It was, judging from the wear on the forearm, issued and carried.
                      Last edited by SeppP; 04-19-2004, 08:52 AM.
                      Steven Platteter
                      Co. C, 1st Wisc. Cav

Comment

Just a quick update on the Burnside project. I've fitted a new hammer and it is consistantly popping caps. Will be testing it soon with live ammo, then experimenting with blanks.
                        Steven Platteter
                        Co. C, 1st Wisc. Cav

Comment

Working...
                        X