Saber Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saber Belt

I recently purchased a new saber belt, cartridge box, pistol cartridge box, cap pouch and holster. I am wondering what order they should go on the belt. I have looked through a lot of photos and have only seen front views. When looking at the pics I have seen the cap box on both sides. If anyone could tell me where to look for the correct order I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Re: Saber Belt

The 1851 saber belt with cartridge box, cap pouch, and holster as shown on pages 204-205 EOG-US should be of some help.

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Chris,

Hopefully, this image will offer some help!
      Attached Files

Comment

Charles:

Thanks for the reply! I saw the picture in EOG. Is there a book with the regulations of how to put all this on? With all four things on the belt it is pretty full.

Mike:

That is a great picture. Where did you find it? Thanks for the help. These boys look like they are in line at the urinal trough at a ball game.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

Originally posted by moarkcav
          Charles:

Thanks for the reply! I saw the picture in EOG. Is there a book with the regulations of how to put all this on? With all four things on the belt it is pretty full.

Mike:

That is a great picture. Where did you find it? Thanks for the help. These boys look like they are in line at the urinal trough at a ball game.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

What a great picture! Did anyone notice that there was no shoulder strap worn w/ the belts. Could it be these are waist belts? The one on the right looks like sabre hangers though. Also, the carbine sling buckle clearly worn on the rear.
          Todd Kern
          Todd Kern

Comment

Originally posted by T.Kern
            What a great picture! Did anyone notice that there was no shoulder strap worn w/ the belts. Could it be these are waist belts? The one on the right looks like sabre hangers though. Also, the carbine sling buckle clearly worn on the rear.
            Todd Kern
            Hey Todd,

I found that photo on civil-war.net a while ago and posted it here sometime before the forum last crashed. It is originally from the Library of Congress - American Memory Collection - Selected Civil War Photographs Home Page. Here it is again and is described as "Soldiers filling canteens - Fredricksburg, VA 1864"

This photo is great and has so many things that are cool. Civilians looking very cosmopolitan, fed cav, mules, colored boys looking jaunty, and a nice civilian saddle (far left.)

See you soon,

Last edited by CJSchumacher; 06-16-2004, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Photo details

Note how the trooper on the far left (of the four "filling canteens" - see the enlarged thumbnail a couple of posts up) has the "chin strap" on his forage cap across the back of his head - to assist in holding the hat on - much like drill instructors of today wear the strap on a campaign hat.

Also the trousers do not seem to be mounted pattern.

It appears that they are all wearing fatigue blouses (sack coats).

The trooper second from the left has what appears to be some sort of cord attached to his belt between the cartridge box and holsetr. It appears that the other end could be attached to the pistol butt - perhaps some sort of safety cord?

No sabers (unless - in the large version - the trooper on the far right has a saber in front of him, as if he's leaning on it. That could be a scabbard protruding down and to the left of his left leg) and only two of the four with carbine slings.

Trooper on far left appears to have cap pouch to the right (on his body) of cartridge box, while trooper third from left has cap pouch to the left of the cartrifdge box. Seems to be a "personal" thing.

Any idea of the unit?

Mike

Twp with forage caps, two with civilian slouch hats.

Note that the seat of the saddle tree seems to be leather covered.
              Mike Ventura
              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Re: Photo details

Originally posted by Mike Ventura
                No sabers (unless - in the large version - the trooper on the far right has a saber in front of him, as if he's leaning on it. That could be a scabbard protruding down and to the left of his left leg) and only two of the four with carbine slings.
                The right trooper in the blow-up has what appears to be a saber belt with the attachment for the scabbard hanging to his side. The wavy, blurred thing protruding from the back of the far left trooper (again, in the blow-up) looks like a metal scabbard that has blurred-out from movement during the long exposure. That comes to 50-50 for sabers by my count among those four, but I could be wrong.
                Bill Cross
                The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Comrades,

It's also possible that the fellows "sans-sabres" simply left theirs elsewhere. I understand that it was sometimes removed from the belt and affixed to the saddle on the left side. Whether this is accurate, I cannot say, but I remember reading about this practice in several different publications.
                  Then again, it may simply be another myth being repeated by editors and reenactors, like that of bayonets not being used in combat.
                  respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                  X