Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stable frocks...

Hey All,
    I know this was covered some what on the older AC forum, but I didn't save the entire thread and it doesn't turn up with the search function... So I'll ask again...

Coley, You can beat me at the next event for this...

I was curious if any of you had heard of or even knew of any existing stable frocks? I know what they were made of etc, but I'm more interested in construction methods... what I mean were the simply made as a regulation frock or were they a more simple affair like the sack coat, but only a frock? Any thoughts? If you do not want to "put it out there" on the AC, e-mail me at home at ziarnek@egyptian.net
    Thanks, Zack Ziarnek
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Re: stable frocks...

Zack,

The stable frock is constructed differently from both a sack and enlisted frock coat. However, I don't think anyone can say how they were actually constructed simply because one has never been studied.

The materials required to construct one are as follows:

From Chris Daley's excellent research section on his website: www.cjdaley.com

Stable Frocks: 3 1/2 yards of 7/8 cotton of pure linen drilling, weighing 6 ounces to the yard, 4 metal suspender buttons, 5 1/2 skeins of No. 30 W.B. linen thread, all seams to be felled
    While none were thought to exist, Chris posted on the "old" forum the news that one is actually overseas in Copenhagen, Denmark...part of the old exchange. Perhaps he can chime in with more info on this.

The photo below is courtesy of the Quartermaster Museum, Ft. Lee, VA

Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchumacher
      While none were thought to exist, Chris posted on the "old" forum the news that one is actually overseas in Copenhagen, Denmark...part of the old exchange. Perhaps he can chime in with more info on this.
      Chris, I'd talked to Chris about them some time ago, but I don't recall him mentioning Denmark.Chris had also directed me to the picture link as you did, anyway, thanks for the tip about Denmark, I knew about the 1857 Mac and the saddleblanket, but not about anything else... Makes me wonder what else they have "we" don't know about.... Hummm... Later, ZZ
      [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
      [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by The Egyptian Homeguard
        Chris, I'd talked to Chris about them some time ago, but I don't recall him mentioning Denmark.Chris had also directed me to the picture link as you did, anyway, thanks for the tip about Denmark, I knew about the 1857 Mac and the saddleblanket, but not about anything else... Makes me wonder what else they have "we" don't know about.... Hummm... Later, ZZ
        From what I know; The Tøjhusmuseet (Royal Arsenal Musuem) in Copenhagen has an entire set of military accoutrements and uniforms from the prewar period. Including two grey US blankets, stable frock, sack coat (prewar), uniform coats, hats, MSJ, etc. etc.

Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
          From what I know; The Tøjhusmuseet (Royal Arsenal Musuem) in Copenhagen has an entire set of military accoutrements and uniforms from the prewar period. Including two grey US blankets, stable frock, sack coat (prewar), uniform coats, hats, MSJ, etc. etc.

http://www.thm.dk/

I became quite familiar with this collection when I was studying in Southern Sweden, and like Ryan has said there is the a stable frock within the amazing collection of prewar US uniforms and accoutrements.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
          X