Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Most Common Inaccuracies in Cavalry...Or Are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Most Common Inaccuracies in Cavalry...Or Are they?

While going through some ordnance and QM paperwork lately, I had some realization that many common things that I deemed as historically inaccurate was actually more NUG than I originally believed.

So, that brings me to this thread. What do you think are some of the most common inaccuracies that we see in cavalry reenacting today? Before you post, I would like to add a twist to this thread by asking you to attach anything that supports your example (pics, documentation, etc).

The purpose of this thread is to see what the most common mistakes are that we make out on the field, some proof that it is indeed inaccurate, and the best way to address it in the field.

With all that being said, I'll start:

1. Breast Collars: Nothing marks a mainstream cav trooper quicker than the brass heart breast collar. Or almost any breast collar for that reason. There has been a great amount of research and many threads on this subject to support that breast collars were not standard issue nor NUG for the rank and file. But exactly how common were breast collars? Attached are two controversial pics that have been used to support the use of breast collars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1861-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	232219

Name:	1863.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	232220

Name:	breast collar.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	232223

Name:	breast collar3.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	232224

Name:	breast collar4.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	232225

While there is documented proof of cav troopers using breast collars, the first hand proof that we generally deem them as inaccurate is the previously stated fact that they were not a standard issue item. While cruppers came with the "standard" set of tack, collars did not. Below are some examples of documented tack being issued to the 11th Ohio Cavalry and is listed as the standard "Complete Saddles" listing.

Name:	saddles-complete.jpg
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	232221

Name:	saddles-complete2.jpg
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	232222

What are your thoughts? What are the most common mistakes that we see Cavalry do at events?

Boots vs. Brogans
    Shell Jacket vs. Fatigue Blouse
    Import sabers vs. Wrist-breakers vs. light cav sabers?
    Behavior/Tactics/Formations?

What does our side of the hobby need to work on?
    Last edited by Steven Dacus; 07-09-2017, 11:00 PM.
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Re: Top 10 Most Common Inaccuracies in Cavalry...Or Are they?

Steven,
    I think this could be a great thread. I wish I had more time to break out some of the items that I had at one time as far as research and documentation. I hope Tom and other who still visit the cavalry section on the AC will chime in. I also hope the tread stays alive for a while and I can come back and tribute. I assume you are looking for items on the CS side as well correct?
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Steve,
      Always a good topic to think about, and I appreciate the inclusion of photographic or other evidence in the discussion as it takes us out of the realm of "I think" into "I can show you."

You make a clarification in your opening about heart breast collars, and that is an important distinction in the conversation. None of the photos you shared featured the brass heart collar. Of the photos you shared it looks like the first guy in the grey has used a surcingle as a breast collar while the other ones have what appears to be purpose made leather breast straps. Having a civilian/custom made/surcingle breast collar is totally appropriate in some measure in the ranks, what isn't cool are those nearly universal (among mainstreamers) brass heart collars.

Now I'll have to put my thinking cap on and dig up some photos to illustrate other issues in the cavalry world.
      Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Hello ,
        In the past did some work on the 8th Illinois Cavalry. I used ordinance returns, a set of requisitions from the regiment's quartermaster in the Lincoln Library , diaries etc
        Came up with this:
        Boots or Brogans?
        The 8th Illinois wore boots. The columns in the monthly reports and requisitions for the bootie or “brogan” are all empty. They were issued 2823 pair of boots in ‘61’ and ‘62’ (972 +279 +276 +914+387) In looking at the numbers they seemed to have worn out their boots in about six months time.
        The officers expected pants to be worn outside of the boots. Sergeant Emory was reduced to the ranks for a refusal to put his pants outside of the boots. The photo study may be indicative of the problem that this challenge to authority posed. Of the 17 pairs of legs you can see 8 pair of boots can be seen because the pants are stuffed in them. 9 fellows had trousers over the boot.
        The troopers were not enamored of their issue boots. In several letters they express their need for a pair from home. Carpenter Bell 1/14/64: “I got a pair of boots and gave $7 for them.”
        Jacob T. Echer 1/14/62: “I got the red shirt you sent. The boots you sent were too large. I sold them for $5.50. With the money I bought a pair of cavalry boots from D. N. Gross.”
        Lt. Hazelton said, ”The boots the knife, the socks, the handkerchief, the gloves and all were just what I wanted.” 3/10/63. “I was in hopes to hear from you before now and to learn that you had sent those boots. I am getting in need of them to wade through the mud here.”3/10/65
        Deck Wesson 5/10/63: “ Those boot were just the thing, accept my most sincere thanks. Thanks cannot express my gratitude. The value of such a gift here too cannot be expressed in words, a pair of boots from Illinois! I was offered $25 for them as soon as it was known.”
        Deck Wesson 5/14/63: “I had on those boots too you’d better believe they look nice.”
        Fredrick Brown: “we sleep with our boots on for if we had taken them off we could not put them on in the morning for the boots were so soaked with water.” March 1862
        May 30, 1863, ”Congratulate me on the receipt of the boots. They reached the camp yesterday and I am now sporting them. Tell Sammy they are a perfect fit, but Lieut. Wing’s were a size too large. He sold them, very readily for what they cost.” William Medill
        “I got a pair of boots and gave $7.00 for them.” Carpenter Bull 3/3/64.
        It was to be boots with pants over them for the 8th Illinois.

Jackets and Blouses
        “On the same ground where we first pitched our tents. We have at last got our dress coats, fatigue coats, over coats, caps, hats, shirts, drawers, stockings, and some boots, but no pants yet.” John Sargent 11/26/61
        980 Cavalry jackets arrive from the Cincinnati depot. in their initial issue from the quartermaster. No state issue for them Farnsworth was well connected so it all came from the federal depot.
        From the requisitions: Received in the 1st quarter 1862: 998 jackets
        May 19 receives 24 blouses
        Received in the 2nd quarter 1862: 58 jackets,28 blouses
        July 31, 1862, 917 blouses August 25, 1862 24 jackets
        Received in the 3rd quarter 1862: 917 blouses, 27 jackets, 69 unlined blouses,
        Received 4th quarter 1862: 205 jackets 14 knit jackets 0 sack coats, 600 great coats

They were first issued jackets and the given sack coats, as well in November 1861. When the jackets or sacks wore thin in the summer on the Peninsula of Virginia they received sack coats as replacements. In the fall they began then to replace these sacks again with jackets.

In the photographic record there is one picture of an eighth Illinois trooper in a sack coat the rest of the approximately 70 enlisted troopers are found in cavalry jackets, offices wear frocks or jackets. Thirty-eight had two buttons on the collar and 34 had one button on a short collar that resembles the one on page 108 of Echoes of Glory. An early image showed two buttons on the collar with two single lines of tape and 10 buttons. An 1863 image showed a high collar and the two double rows of tape with twelve buttons. Another early war image showed darker collar and cuffs and no yellow tape.

Sabers
        The ordinance returns show:
        12/62 3/63 6/63 9/63 12/63 3/64 6/64
        Dragoon sabers 541 419 307 362 248 264 319
        Light sabers 0 0 14 44 82 737 560
        In the September 1864 report there were only 80 dragoon sabers left in the unit. The rest of the men had light cavalry sabers. That would leave a ratio of 11% to 89%.
        The 8th had Dragoon sabers through the reporting period. Light cavalry sabers began to show up in 1863. Light Sabers did not overtake Dragoons until after furlough in 1864.

Grist for the mill,
        Mark Hess
        Mark Hess

Comment

Mark,

Excellent research you have done on the 8th! In your mind, what is the most common inaccuracy that you have seen at events? One thing i find interesting is that (if i'm reading your numbers right) the 8th had more Dragoon sabers than light sabers.

Tom,
          Great reiteration of the difference between the brass heart collar vs. other kinds. The reason I used those pictures is because i have been given those in reference to prove that breast collars are authentic. However, like you said, the devil is in the details, while a number of collars in general could be considered authentic, the wide use of the brass heart collars we so commonly see at events definitely is not NUG.

Another common thing I have been thinking about is the "over-use" of the standard civil war cav bridle. In many of the available pictures of tacked horses, many of them have civilian or otherwise non-issue headstall/bridle. See pictures Below:

Name:	1861-3.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	225392

Name:	1862.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	225393

Name:	37528v.jpg
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	225394

Name:	107804-2.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	225396
          It seems that at least martingales (at least) are under-represented in reenacting today. Of course it must be noted that many of the pictures that have enough detail to see what kind of bridle is being used are officers, Jr. Officers, or in some cases NCO's. Definitely not a good representation of the standard rank and file. Below are some other pictures of other troopers with a bridle more similar to the standard issue one:

Name:	11thOVC.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	225395

Name:	33458v.jpg
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	225397

Either way, it is worth considering the use of non-issue bridles/head stalls on the federal side of things.
          Steven Dacus
          Casper, Wyoming
          11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

A couple of those images seem to feature a halter with lead-rope worn under the bridle along the lines of British 1812P light cavalry tack.

Regards,

Nibs
            Stephen Bennett
            Odense, Denmark
            Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Steve,

I totally agree about the use of non-issue bridles, which is why I switched to a civilian pattern years ago for my officer and enlisted impression. Civilian bridles are super common in period images.

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              1st Maine Cavalry
              Tom Craig

Comment

Perhaps this is just a thing at mainstream events; haven't rubbed shoulders with many hardcore cavaliers...

The way in which the saber is used. There is way too much assumption that you just "stick them with the pointy end". If one knows even a little bit about swordsmanship it's easy to spot errors... movie style fighting... attacking the sword... suicidialism... attacks that wouldn't even have to be parried (since they're not even aimed at the other fellow)... etc. Many don't even take the time to learn the proper mounted engaging guard (how you hold the sword when charging or moving into an attack.

At one event I watched two mounted groups charge each other holding their swords straight up. Then they paired off, came to a complete stop, clanged their swords a few times in the intervening space, and rode back to their start lines. It was ludicrous.

I realize that if one attempted anything like a realistic saber charge someone would get impaled. If medieval reenactors can learn to fight safely and realistically though, so can we.
                Last edited by Fort Mahone; 08-13-2017, 06:28 PM.
                Joseph Rose
                Corporal, Magnolia Invincibles Mess

"We'll all turn to dust but one thing is sure- Branston Bridge will stand unbroken."
                -The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Comment

Most of my books are already been packed up for my move to my ranch. The one resource at hand is a 1844 U.S. Army Quartermaster Report which states, in reference to the Ringgold Saddle, "..They have three rings in front, two for the Breast Strap and one for the Carbine Socket."

As for Texan Drovers, the Breast Collar was well in use before the war, for if you dallyed without one the saddle would surely turn on ya.
                  Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

Working...
                  X