Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a New Unit

Hello all,
    I am looking to start a new unit, but I am in need of some assistance. Any info on insurance, where to buy powder, research, or anything else associated with the starting of a new unit would be much appreciated. I would like to portray the 1st Louisiana Company K - Louisiana Dragoons.
    Thanks in advance.
    Keegan Gregory Campbell

Re: Starting a New Unit

Keegan,
    What area of the country are you looking to recruit from?
    Research can be done through books,articles , or online resources.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbackfed View Post
      Keegan,
      What area of the country are you looking to recruit from?
      Research can be done through books,articles , or online resources.
      I am looking at recruiting from the Midwest.
      Keegan Gregory Campbell

Comment

The Midwest is a pretty large area. Our unit is based in Chicago but draw people from downstate Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin
        Jason David

Peter Pelican
        36th Illinois Co. "B"
        Prodigal Sons Mess
        Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

A question to ask yourself would be why do you want to start your own unit rather than join an existing one? From the nature of your questions it seems like you're pretty new to reenacting. It might be best to join up with another unit and learn the ropes first, particularly with cavalry that has a lot of potential danger, liability and a lot to learn.

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig View Post
            A question to ask yourself would be why do you want to start your own unit rather than join an existing one? From the nature of your questions it seems like you're pretty new to reenacting. It might be best to join up with another unit and learn the ropes first, particularly with cavalry that has a lot of potential danger, liability and a lot to learn.

Take care,
            Tom Craig
            1st Maine Cavalry

I've actually been reenacting for about 9 years. I am looking to start a new unit because I would like to do a more hardcore impression. The unit I am currently in is a more farby group. Currently my group is Eastern Theater Virginia Cavalry, and I would like to do a Western Theater impression, specifically, Louisiana Cavalry.
            Keegan Gregory Campbell

Comment

Keegan,
              My original unit, which has dwindled over the years, did not have a "unit" insurance or "unit" powder. We all had our own insurance coverage and would supply our own powder. I would recommend doing specific research for your unit so you can start to sell the idea to people either in your existing unit or on the different forums out there. You want to have a clear goal and impression that you want to have in the unit so people know what they are getting into.
              Rob Bruno
              1st MD Cav
              http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

A friend and myself started the Magnolia Mess last April. We are from all over Mississippi and Louisiana. We don't push recruiting but always have people fall in with us and they wind up joining. We don't have a unit designation so we aren't restricted on who we portray. We don't have company powder or insurance. Good luck in starting your unit.
                Timothy Hallman
                Trans-Miss Hellcat

"What does the Bully 4th say?”
                “HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN!”

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Keegan Gregory Campbell View Post
                  I've actually been reenacting for about 9 years. I am looking to start a new unit because I would like to do a more hardcore impression. The unit I am currently in is a more farby group. Currently my group is Eastern Theater Virginia Cavalry, and I would like to do a Western Theater impression, specifically, Louisiana Cavalry.
                  Well, that changes the equation then. From my experience and inclination I'd recommend that you go with the least formal arrangement possible. A lot of groups love things like bylaws and unit property etc. Keep it simple, and keep it easy. Just find like minded guys to ride with and do that.
                  Best of luck,
                  Tom Craig
                  1st Maine Cavalry
                  Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X