Is giving "wrong orders" authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is giving "wrong orders" authentic?

I am sure most of us have experienced following seemingly random orders and being maneuvered on the field by a new commander who apparently doesn't know the drill manual like he should. The longer this new commander has to handle his men, the clearer it is that he has no idea what he is doing. Whether its using the wrong orders, wrong action command, wrong direction, etc....I have been most frustrated with new commanders who need to spend a bit more time in the manual.

Fast forward to the first time I took command of a small troop. Even though I had spend hundreds of hours in the manual and knew it in and out(or so I thought)....the first time a unit's actions were at my disposal, I too used the wrong action commands, wrong orders, or simply made maneuvers up because the drill I wanted to execute did not come to mind when I needed.

This got me thinking how common it might have been for the many hundreds of new captains, colonels , majors, etc that found themselves commanding men with sub-par execution of the manual in the field. Based on simple human behavior, how common do you think it was for commanders to use wrong orders or simply "make up" or modify other drills to execute a maneuver.

I feel this might have been common early in the war. However, that is exactly why they drilled excessively.

Does anyone have primary sources that discuss this possibility?
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Re: Is giving "wrong orders" authentic?

From personal experience, the most experienced people make mistakes, and in the heat of battle, stress, and yes, in the real life Army, I've seen leaders say the wrong things and get tongue tied in the modern Army.
    From historical records, remember, that in the Federal Army they began to have officer examination boards because too many elected unit leaders didn't have the requisite military and leaders skills.
    Last edited by Pennvolunteer; 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM.
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

On one of my early attempts commanding a company I was unsure and asked our own Mint Julep if I'd 'said it right' and he responded "they did what you wanted them to didn't they?'. Results matter.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

It was pretty common, especially for new troops. The battle of Perryville is pretty infamous for this since a significant part of the Federal army was made up of new regiments only a few weeks in service. Several of them ended up going into battle inverted or had trouble maneuvering properly during the battle.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Although not in a battle situation, in his diary, published as “All Quiet on the Yamill,” Corporal Royal Bensell, Company D, 4th California Infantry, regularly bemoans the inability of his officers to give proper commands while drilling the company.
          Eric Paape
          Because the world needs
          one more aging reenactor

Comment

We study the Tactics to learn what we *should do, and then deal as best we can with reality as we encounter it. In this we aren't so different from the original cast.

A couple of European perspectives:

"Our methods have been copied very exactly.... Unfortunately, they have often, upon first going into battle, made unskillful attempts to utilize their instruction and have paid dearly for it. Their comrades, schooled only in actual war, have possessed a read advantage over them."
            Victor de Chanal, "The American Army in the War of Secession" (speaking of U.S. volunteers)

"As for drill, the very worst militia regiment can do enough for all practical purposes."
            Sir Garnet Wolseley, "Soldier's Pocket Book For Field Service" (speaking of troops in general)
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Despite spending several weeks mastering the commands for Guard Mount at Buck House, I still appreciated the rehearsal held before each one. Even without anyone shooting at us, it would have been all to easy to give the wrong command or mistime an order amidst the noise of the crowd and pressure to get it perfect, especially when you're not supposed to turn your head to see what's going on behind you. So don't be too tough on yourselves if the manual flows out of your ears sometimes :)
              Stephen Bennett
              Odense, Denmark
              Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Years ago while researching the 9th Ky (US) on the first day at Stones River, I came across a first person account of where the regiment had to change front while in contact with the enemy. Rather than go through the commands from the manual, the colonel positioned the colors and ordered the regiment to form on the colors which got them positioned how he wanted them.
                Tony Morreale

Comment

Anybody got some documented examples?

(meanwhile, in the dim and fading recesses of my addled brain, I recall a thread dealing with this very topic... off to the search fxn I go!... I'll be back with lynx, if'n I find 'em!)

This just in!!
                  Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM. Reason: found it!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

People are people and human behavior is somewhat predicable regarding this topic. I just find it interesting.

Also, John, let me know if you find the old thread. I tried to make sure this topic hadn't already been hashed out by searing multiple key words, but I couldn't find anything. Thus this thread. However, if you find it let me know! Thanks.
                    Steven Dacus
                    Casper, Wyoming
                    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

I cannot remember exactly where I read it, but it is most likely in one of the books on the regimental history, but the 4th Tennessee Cavalry (Smith's) eventually had a Lieutenant Colonel, Paul F. Anderson, who apparently only knew a couple of commands; "Fall in", "Rally", and "Charge". I suspect, due to Colonel Anderson presiding over an entire brigade wheeling, that he eventually learned more.

For some reason, I'm also wanting to say that I remember reading about General Hardee getting very frustrated that some officers weren't following his manual properly. I may just be making this one up though.
                      Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
                      Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
                      Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Well, a great example of a wrong command with disastrous consequences is at Chickamauga when Rosecrans ordered Wood to move out of line! As it says, "Wood was perplexed by Rosecrans order".... Maybe not a drill command at the tactical level, but wrong orders are wrong orders!!
                        Frank Siltman
                        24th Mo Vol Inf
                        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                        Company of Military Historians
                        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by lpihc View Post
                          Also, John, let me know if you find the old thread.
                          Yep, check my post right above yours. I found it and updated that post.

If you're ever looking for a drill item, search "Drill Bits". We have a series of threads under that header.

Enjoy!
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                          X