Enfield Carbine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield Carbine Question

Did all of the Enfield carbines used in the war have the square end escutcheon lock plates? All examples I can find did unlike the reproduction rounded end ones used by most of the Italian makers today. I ask this because of the Geoff Walden article that states only L.A.Co. and RASF used the type of lock screw escutcheon (brass washer) found on the reproductions and this has confused me. Were these used in the war as well? Sorry for the noob question ahead of time.

John Martin
    John Martin

Re: Enfield Carbine Question

Hey John!
    I do not have an answer for you, BUT. I would recommend contacting Andrew Jerram. He goes by Pip the Limey here on the AC.
    He is incredibly knowledgeable about this particular weapon.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply Tyler.
      John Martin
      John Martin

Comment

I am pretty sure that all of the Type III Enfields bound for export had square-eared lock washers.

Craig L. Barry made an excellent book on this topic:

Don't know why it is listing at $400+ - when it came out it was like $25.

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

"All" is one of the words called "Universals" a researcher should avoid (like "never," or "always," too).

Being really brief, the majority of 'Enfields" in America were the 3rd Models typically from the Birmingham Small Arms Trade that were being pushed because the British government had moved to the interchangeable parts concept of the 4th Model which the BSAT 3rd models were not.

With very few exceptions, think of the same applying to RM's, R's, and Carbines/Musketoons. And the repro is a 4th Model.

Again, being brief...

Curt

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
          X