Custer hair sells for $12.5K; uniform, sword will command much more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custer hair sells for $12.5K; uniform, sword will command much more

Lock of Custer's hair auctioned for $12,500; anyone who wants his captured Civil War uniform, Tiffany sword will need to pony up a ton more. https://civil-war-picket.blogspot.co...ioned-for.html
    Phil Gast

Re: Custer hair sells for $12.5K; uniform, sword will command much more

Shoot, I wish I could have this at our museum up at Monterey Pass. Millionaire anyone??

John A. Miller, Director
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park & Museum
    John A. Miller, Director
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Originally posted by Picket View Post
      Lock of Custer's hair auctioned for $12,500; anyone who wants his captured Civil War uniform, Tiffany sword will need to pony up a ton more. https://civil-war-picket.blogspot.co...ioned-for.html
      I believe the Injuns got the rest of his hair...
      Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Hallo!

Historical Trivia.

It is generally believed the Indians did not take his short (red) hair (he was balding and had cropped it short for the LBH campaign. Since they did not know Custer was there, or would not have recognized him, some hold that his body was spared mutilation due to being a suicide.

The likelier version....

When the sunburned body was found, it had been stripped of clothing and was in a sitting position against a horse. Eye witness accounts vary a bit, but said the body was not scalped or mutilated as were many of the 7th Cav. troopers. There were two gunshot wounds, one in the upper chest, and one in the left temple. The accounts vary in that some say he had had his ear drums punctured likely with a awl, or had had two fingers cut off and stuffed in his ears.

The irony in History was that it is believed that the eye-witnesses may have withheld the truth about the corpse in deference to Custer's wife Libby who became his greatest defender and guardian of his legacy. But the problem is that Libby went on to outlive all of them dying four days short of her 91st birthday. (Just like they did in 1877 when they went to exhume the LBH grave and found that scavengers had dug up and scattered Custer's bones all over the place and in and among other remains. All that was left in Custer's grave was one hand's bones. They gathered up the human bones nearest to Custer's and boxed them up to be sent east and reburied as "Custer" at West Point.

Curt

- - - Updated - - -

Hallo!

I knew I should have bought a bunch of the Custer, Lee, Lincoln, and von Richthofen hair that was sold on EBAY a few years back.

:) :) :)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X