Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primary Research: Just How Common Were Link Straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Research: Just How Common Were Link Straps?

Link Straps, the research continues

One of the necessary pieces of equipment to be an effective cavalry reenactor is the notorious Link Strap. Without which, one cannot engage dismounted and participate in recreated moments like Buford’s stand at Gettysburg, East Cavalry Field, Trevillion Station and many more. But as our previous video suggested, the link strap was not as common as portrayed in the reenacting community today.

I can still feel the excitement at my first reenactment where we galloped in tight formations onto the far left flank on an already hot battlefield. The commander ordered “Front-Into-Line” and quickly barked another order that put me in the moment…”Prepare to fight…”, I knew what was coming next, as a rear rank Number 2 man, I reigned my horse back and waited for the action command of “On-Foot”! Having practiced this maneuver hundreds of times, I efficiently dismounted, hooked up my saber, took my link strap from my horse’s halter and clipped it to my No. 3 man and scampered off to the skirmish line.

It may not seem much to many, but that moment hooked me into this hobby. I have since tried to be as accurate and effective with my drill as possible. However, through much study and research, I have found that the “required” piece of equipment may not have been that commonplace.

Through this research, I have developed two missions in my reenacting hobby that I am trying to make commonplace. One of those missions is to make tying reins MORE common than using link straps. I feel with enough training and done correctly, it offers more flexibility to a regiment, and of course, more authenticity.

In this quest, I have acquired all the Ordnance Returns from the National Archives and have been putting the data in a seemingly never-ending spreadsheet to one day make analysis much easier. However, having completed the US Regular Cavalry Regiments, I find some peculiar trends that supports the idea that Link Straps were not commonplace.

Raw Data:
    Using the organized returns available at the National Archives the following use is the numbers of Link straps for each regiment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Matrix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	232582

When looking at the raw data each regiment arguably only outfitted 30% of its regiment with link straps. One thing that is interesting to note is that I held an assumption that links became more popular as the war progressed, thus making it more NUG for late war events. However, using the data from the US Regular Cavalry, the opposite actually is true.

Name:	All US Regiments.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	232589

Name:	1st US Cav.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	232583

Name:	2nd US Cav.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	232584

Name:	3rd US Cav.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	232585

Name:	4th US Cav.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	232586

Name:	5th US Cav.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	232587

Name:	6th US Cav.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	232588

As you can see from the preceding graphs, all of the US Regular Cavalry started with large numbers of links which quickly reduced in number to near zero numbers. One exception to this rule is that the US Army conducted a large reorganization and resupply throughout 1864. And for most of the units, including the US Regular Cavalry Regiments, there was a jump of equipment numbers during this time. However, they also seem to quickly trail off again.

One of the gaps as you can see, is that the data from the end of the war is not present. Thus, I cannot say with certainty how common links were at the Appomattox Campaign.

I cannot help but to speculate why the numbers of links reduced so drastically and quickly once being issued them. Using my own experience and insight, I would like to suggest that many of them broke, tore, ripped or were otherwise damaged beyond repair; only to be tossed aside. I can see veterans telling troopers to “throw away” that piece of gear to simply go to the tried and true method of tying the reins.

Other supporting evidence can be seen (or not seen) in the drill manuals of the time. The two main manuals of the time were Poinsett’s and Cooke’s. Both manuals train troopers to tie the reins and mention nothing about the link strap or linking horses together. In fact, only three supplementary (one of which is CS published) training manuals discuss the link strap and how to use it. In all three manuals, they copy McClellan’s drill manual for dismounted skirmishing. Published in 1862, it does specify that all cavalry troopers should be issued with a link strap, but it seems as if they originally were in 1862, but did not get replacement straps and therefore went back to tying reins.

The conversation of whether it is still safe or possible for weekend warriors to tie reins on a regular basis is outside the scope of this discussion but must also be brought up as safety of the horse and rider are paramount. But as a teaser to future conversations, “Safety” has been used to much and has allowed the hobby to make excuses for things that are simply inconvenient vs. unsafe.

Conclusion:

The US Regular Cavalry only had an average of 20%-30% outfitted with link straps (when freshly outfitted). While I understand these are only 6 regiments out of the more than 150+ regiments that fought on the US side during the war, I feel it is a good representation on what was normal or expected. After all, it was the regular US Cavalry. For instance, The 1st US Cavalry were involved in engagements like Williamsburg (13 men lost), Gaines’ Mill (26 men lost), Kelly’s Ford (10 Men Lost), Upperville (51 men lost in sabre charge), Gettysburg (15 men lost), Williamsport, Boonsboro (14 men lost), Brandy Station (15 men lost), Todd’s Tavern (10 men lost), Cold Harbor (7 men lost), Trevillian Station (35 men lost), and many more engagements! It wasn’t like these were regiments banished to guarding rear wagon trains for the whole war.

The data provided above becomes the best advocate for the drilling and practice of tying reins for cavalry units. Not only will this be more accurate and educational to the public (if that is your thing), but also adds another tool to your toolbox (and more flexibility) when our equipment gets broken as those with horses know. Simply put, if you don’t have a link strap, no worries, use your reins!
    Last edited by Steven Dacus; 08-26-2018, 06:01 PM.
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Re: Primary Research: Just How Common Were Link Straps?

Steve,
    Great information. This topic continues to come up and be discussed because I think there is so much mystery or maybe misunderstanding of it. The data and information is so incomplete, and we just don't have all the answers. With you data, it causes me to ask a couple more questions.
    1. If link straps are barely mentioned in any drill manuals of the time, why were they still listed as an issue item?
    2. If 30% of your regiment had them, were they trained differently then all the rest? Do you think the 30% were all grouped in one company so you would have one complete company following one method of linking horse an the rest of the regiment tying reins?
    3. Why, if everyone was deciding after '62 to tie reins, were they issued later in the war. Meaning, on your graphs, almost every unit has a dip down to almost none or zero link straps only to be issued at least a few towards the end. You mentioned the reorganization and resupply in 64. But, it they were not using them, why would they be issued?

These questions are not ask in support of using link straps. I do mainly CS, so I don't have one for that anyway. But, asking just to hopefully understand more about this tool that seems to be very much misunderstood.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

In working on the ordinance returns of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry during the war I found in the 1863 reports zero link straps, lariats, picket pins watering bridles are reported until they return from furlough in 1864.
      Mark Hess

Comment

HI Gents,

Long time no post, ha.
        This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and you are correct in that you won't find much to support the issuance of link straps. Especially on a CS basis. This dilemma then thrusts you into the maelstrom of authenticity vs. safety. After 25 years of this with every combination of well disposed horses down to green newbies, you will quickly find that if the mount in question are not routinely worked with a "tying off of the reins" you will have a disaster on your hands. Horses will challenge the tie off, pull from the lead and unlike pulling against the tug of a link strap to the halter, will pull the reins apart, destroy the bits and worse yet, damage the mouths of the mounts. IF you have a unit that works on this routinely, then great, they can pull it off, but gentlemen, we live in an environment where many cavalrymen admittedly don't even freakin' ride their mounts except at an event and worse yet, you will have those who "rent" horses and the tying off by the reins are a disaster just waiting for a place to happen. I have seen units who shout from the rafters how "authentic" they are and they barely can sit a horse. Used to really gripe me badly. Oh, and remember that it only takes one set of knuckleheads to destroy the efforts of a 35 trooper unit.

So, are they authentic across the board??? Nope...…….
        Will you have a catastrophe without them (PROVIDED THE TROOPERS DON'T WORK THEM ROUTINELY)? Yep.

Go forth and multiply, have fun, but watch your arse on this one.

Just one retired cavarlyman's hard-learned opinion.

thx,
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark, I agree that this topic has been discussed at nauseum, but I had not yet seen anything other than opinion or anecdotal evidence. That is why I decided to beat this dead horse again with at least some numbers. While I understand it does not represent even 1% of all cavalry regiments, I think the US regulars holds a bit more credibility on what was "expected" of cav troopers. I also wanted to share the finding that the numbers dwindled throughout the war rather than increase (a finding counter to previous beatings of this dead horse). In fact, I have not yet heard anything about numbers decreasing. This was the first time I had run across that evidence.

As far as having reenactors do it, I will only say that in our own monthly drills, we have tried it a handful of times with a perceived increase in the control of the horse.

Some obvious drawbacks that we have experienced:
          1. It takes much longer to tie reins and form the skirmish line than simply using link straps
          2. Tying reins is less reliable than links and the horse holder (No. 4) is at the whim of how good each man tied his slip knot

I personally still very much prefer using the link because it is quicker, more secure, easier, and takes less skill. However, if my goal is to be as accurate as possible, I must surrender my own desires of what I want to do and go where the evidence points me. I find myself doing this with my MSJ as well since I love how it looks, but it is definitely not near as NUG as your standard fatigue blouse.
          Steven Dacus
          Casper, Wyoming
          11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

Agree with all you said, Steven and do not take issue with any of your points.

I only hope that all of the zealous out there who attempt to do this in a battlefield scenario will have practiced the heck out of it first. Of course, I used to make this same exhortation for "cavalrymen" to regularly "ride" their mounts and believe it or not, even that was not universally accepted. And I continue to be concerned about those who are renting horses and try this.

We sometimes forget that mounted cavalry is unlike any other aspect of the hobby as it is not limited to a human being and those things within the span of his control. We have a 1200 pound, independent thinking animal to consider and he must work with us in concert to what we are trying to accomplish. That cannot be successfully done if we only ride our mounts at events, etc. As you know all to well, this aspect of the hobby does not end when we arrive home after an event. It is a seven day a week investment with this animal and it's care and training. I am not telling you anything you don't already know but if everyone who participate in Mtd Cav would only understand the investment of time, effort, money, etc. on the front end.
            Ok, I am off of the soap box and will shut up.

BTW, you are doing a fine job as moderator here and I appreciate your efforts.
            Thank you,
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Choate View Post

BTW, you are doing a fine job as moderator here and I appreciate your efforts.
              Thank you,
              Hear, hear :D
              Stephen Bennett
              Odense, Denmark
              Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Working...
              X