Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing the Saddle from the Off Side

Saddling from the Off Side

For those of you who were horseman before entering into the hobby, you probably were taught to saddle from the near (left) side. However, according to Congdon's Compendium, we are to place the saddle blanket from the near side but place the saddle on the horse from the off (right) side. The text states the following:

“Approach the horse on the near side, lay on the saddle blanket; seize it with the left hand on the withers, and with the right on the loins; slide it once or twice from the front to the rear, to smooth the hair, taking care to raise it in carrying it forward, so as not to brush up the hair. Throw the girths over the seat of the saddle, the stirrups and also the crupper. Seize the pommel of the saddle with the right hand, the cantle with the left; approach the horse from the rear on the off side, place it gently upon his back, a few inches rear of its proper place…”

From a practical standpoint, it makes sense to be on the off side to let down the girths and ensure they are not tangled; and then finish saddling on the near side. As with all military instructions, these steps have been tried and true.

However, I must admit that I find myself reverting to how I was raised in the west, doing everything from the near side. Do you find yourself placing the saddle from the off side or near side?
    Just some food for thought next time you hear “Boots & Saddles”.
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Re: Placing the Saddle from the Off Side

Great post, Steven,

I remember when I first read that in Congdon's thinking, "It must be an error." That, or ole James C. had slipped a cog. :wink_smil Then, as I thought through things, I realized how many times when placing saddle on near side that I would often circle around to straighten a straps, girth or stirrup leathers and then return to near side to cinch up. This insures that everything is straight and limits the movement.

Moral of the story: "Never discount the advice of men whose lives depended on their horses and effective preparation.

Merry Christmas,
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Great point. I know I often end up walking around to the off side of the horse to check on straps etc, so if you start from there it would save the steps. Solving period problems with period solutions is always the best bet.

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Makes sense to me - thank you for sharing this
        Stephen Bennett
        Odense, Denmark
        Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Working...