Jenifer rigging in the west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenifer rigging in the west

Were Jenifers made in the western confederacy sometimes quarterstrap rigged as in the east?
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: Jenifer rigging in the west

Hi Greg, From my research I can say that there is no doubt that Jenifers were made at several western arsenals from the early war period until about the Spring of 1863. There were made sporadically in number and I believe differed perhaps dramatically in appearance from the Richmond arsenal models but with so little documentation I cannot exactly say in what manner. My intuition based upon long and deep research on the subject would lead me to say that they were made with quarterstraps in the very beginning just as they were in the east (Richmond) but later by direct order changed back to the Jenifer Patent English rigging....Having said that and given the west's literal lack of materials, skilled labor, samples and unreliable inter-dept communication I would suggest that this order- like so many coming form the east, was not readily followed. In short, the production number, overall appearance of the western Jenifer and its details remain in enigma. Sorry!

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Re: Jenifer rigging in the west

Much obliged.
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
      X