Painted Cloth Reins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Cloth Reins

When painting cotton web confederate reins, do you use the sizing first or just paint the bare cotton web itself and let it soak in?
    Respectfully,
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: Painted cloth reins

Hi Greg,

Greg,

You fold and stitch the webbing first. Should be six ply (folded). Then you apply the blacking at least three coats (apply and let dry then repeat).
    They are quite stiff and abrasive to the hand for a while, but break in nicely and the durability is unbelievable. I have a set that I have used regularly for 20 years.

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thank you sir!
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

I know this thread has not had much activity since April but I just found it Adam curious as to what the webbing looks like prior to folding and Stitching? I currently have leather but would like to have a set of canvas tack also
        TIA
        John Mueller
        John Mueller

Comment

Re: Painted Cloth Reins

Gents, please be aware that webbing and canvas duck are two entirely different materials. Webbing is just that ..."woven" cotton (think porous) webbing. While canvas (duck) was a cloth material. Canvas cloth was folded, stitched, then painted black and then usually linseed oil applied as a sealer. Sometimes only linseed oil was used when paint (enamel) was not available. Webbing was far more rare in the South having to be available from leftover pre war supplied found in the South (short supply) or imported from England (known for their webbing materials) and also in short supply. As expediency for leather, folded cotton canvas cloth was by far more prevalent in the Confederacy especially as the war drug on. I as well, made a pair of enameled canvas (three ply as I remember) cloth reins (boiled linseed coated) that I made long ago and used for years. As Mark Choate stated, once they are broke in they ware extremely durable, light weight and I always thought comparable if not better than leather. Ken R Knopp

Comment

Working...
          X