Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCausland's Cavalry

Gentlemen,
    Can any of you help me with weapons carries by McCausland's men.Do any of you have access to the returns?I know there are numerous units and their will vary.I understand that some had sabers but most seem to have carried 3 banders and acted as mounted infantry.Any information would be appreciated.
    Regards,Rick Harris
    Rick Harris

Re: McCausland's Cavalry

Originally posted by courier
    Gentlemen,
    Can any of you help me with weapons carries by McCausland's men.Do any of you have access to the returns?I know there are numerous units and their will vary.I understand that some had sabers but most seem to have carried 3 banders and acted as mounted infantry.Any information would be appreciated.
    Regards,Rick Harris

I hope you aren't asking for this data for that movie as any movie maker should be prepared to pay for research just as they pay for services.
    Having said that, I have an inspection (also reciepts) from dec 64 for Imboden's , McCausland's , and Jackson's brigades. I have posted this all before, years ago, but here are some of the details listed on the inspection, "Arms, Kind- Muskets,Enfield rifles, Sharps, Spencers, Burnsides, pistols and sabres". It does not distiguish between brigades until calibre is asked, McCausland's has .52,.54,.58. Also, the weapons are listed as clean but for the 14th and 21 regts who are listed as fair. From the reciepts there are also listed, Richmond rifles, Miss. rifles, Austrian rifles (though these are unclear whos), and ammo. For Numbers, there is more cart. Calb.54 (14400) than any other, followed by.58 (7000), .52 (500), Navy pistol (200), Army(2598), on this one return. (I must say, this is before McC takes over cav but Ord. Officer, Sargt. Jas.H.Teaford Actins ???of Jenkins Brig is turning these over, to who it's unclear. This would be a good man to find his name and get his service records if you want more ord returns.)
    Points of interest on the inspection; Shoulder belts , waist belts, sabre belts, and gun slings are all listed, condition is said to be good. Horse equipment is only fair. Uniforms- Jackets not coats (crossed out), Overcoats- "none issued" for Imboden, BOOTS- "none issued" to any of the three brigades. Clothing rated poor for Imboden and McC. , bad for the 16,21,& 22nd. Military appearance is "indifferant" on "account of the want of clothing and accoutrements".

Reciepts From the service records of Lt. Henry W. Cox, Ord. Officer 4th brig AWV and McCausland's Brig.
    Thanks to Allan Tischler.

Sincerely, Todd Kern
    Last edited by T.Kern; 07-13-2004, 12:25 AM.
    Todd Kern

Comment

Re: McCausland's Cavalry

Todd,
      Thank you sir for your response.No,this is not for the movie! But I am participating in the GOW event this coming weekend.I have read 4 different accounts of the Monocacy Battle,none of which mention arms.Welcome back to the Cav board and thank you again.
      Regards,Rick Harris
      Rick Harris

Comment

Working...
      X