Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation Requested: US Wagon Harness

Dear Friends,

I am hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice on acquiring correct harness for an ambulance I am working on. Pattern, hardware, maybe someone who would even like to make it.

Thanks!

John Novicki
    Attached Files

John Novicki
    Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Re: Recommendation Requested: US Wagon Harness

This appears to be a common light driving harness with the addition of an extra shaft carrier on the britching most likely to help with the extra weight of the wounded passangers. I have never found a spec for ambulance harnnes in this era. As ambulances were fairly new and the arsenals were busy with artillery harness this is very likely an off the shelf purchase
    Originally posted by verg
    Dear Friends,

I am hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice on acquiring correct harness for an ambulance I am working on. Pattern, hardware, maybe someone who would even like to make it.

Thanks!

John Novicki
    Tom Mattimore

Comment

John,
      that's a great picture and one I haven't seen before. Not to change the subject but there's a good view of a period civilian saddle that several people here have inquired about before. Can you get a better close-up of that saddle? It could add to our edification! Thanks,
      Charles Winchester
      Critters

Comment

Dear Chuck,

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on where to go for this rig?

Here is an enlargement of the saddle you asked about. From the picture, it is very similar to the saddle I use for RevWar.

Yours,

John Novicki
        Attached Files

John Novicki
        Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by verg
          Dear Chuck,

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on where to go for this rig?

Here is an enlargement of the saddle you asked about. From the picture, it is very similar to the saddle I use for RevWar.

Yours,

John Novicki
          That looks very similar to many civilian flat or english saddles of the period. I had posted a diagram for the saddle to be used from an 1834 manual and what is thought to be the 1833 Dragoon saddle. Here is a link to an article from the Military Horse about it with links to diagrams from the manual.

http://militaryhorse.org/articles/holmes/1834manual.asp

The point being, this style of saddle has origins well before the American Revolution and survives to this day. Quite an amazing piece of horse equipment.

By the way...check out these photos of the actual "mystery" saddle. Note the closeup showing the underskirt...ie. leather top, heavy cloth lining, vertical quilting...very common pad throughout th 19th. century.

http://militaryhorse.org/articles/holmes/mystery.asp

Good luck with your project...you can never have enough horse drawn anything! I'd really love to see wagons being pulled by mules on a jerk line hitch with one driver on the near wheel horse...now that would be something!

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong (I am getting really bad resolution off the photo) but it appears to be a variation on a hame type harness instead of a light driving harness.
            To me it appears that the tugs are running to a collar and not a chest piece. The hold back on the britching does have an extra piece that appears to be there to help with weight. (the whole rig looks like it should have a mark that says you need to be this tall to ride :D )
            If you live anywhere in the NY, PA, OH area, I am sure any amish harness maker could reproduce this harness given photos and enough information, but you will probably have to look elseware for the correct hardware.

Jay Johnson

Comment

Hmm . . . chest piece or collar? Here is another pic Whatcha' think?

John Novicki
              Attached Files

John Novicki
              Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Here is the entire image . . . The image is from May of '63 . . .
                Attached Files

John Novicki
                Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

John,

It looks like it employs a collar to me. Definetly not what I consider a light driving harness.

Jay Johnson

Comment

Definetly collar and hames. To me a light driving harness from the apperance of the size of the straps. The gig saddle is not clear so most of the padded types with patent covers would not do. Dover books has published a few reprints of 19th and early 20th century harness and tack you might get some ideas for hardware from them. The gray, in harness, appears to have checks probably a head tosser
                    Last edited by tmattimore; 07-09-2004, 05:21 PM.
                    Tom Mattimore

Comment

I should claryify myself on a earlier comment before it leads to a lengthy side discussion. In our area, what the rest of the world calls the traces, we call tugs. Why, I don't know :tounge_sm

Jay Johnson

Comment

Jay
                        An often used term in most parts of the country. Actually the difference to a harness maker is that a tug is a short piece attached to the hames with either a buckle or toggle and ring to which the traces are attached. if the traces are sewn to the hames they are called tugs. Generaly interchangable terms.
                        Tom Mattimore

Comment

Thats a very cool picture. Good luck on putting your impression together. there is not nearly enough of that sort of thing around this hobby. may even see ateamster impression in my future.

On a side note Ive been interested in that type of "english" civilian saddle for some time now would love to see one up close.

Thanks for posting that pic.
                          Patrick McAllister
                          Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all your advice.

A vendor has suggested this rig. What do you think? It certainly resembles the ones pictured in the NA photo. The maker uses Herman Harness Leather.

The only other piece of info is this letter I found in last week's fishing expedition at the National Archives:

". . . tree and plates of best iron. Terrets of solid brass with loose rings of the same. Hooks of solid brass and leather strap attached. Skirts 22 inches long, 5 inches wide and 3/16 of an inch thick. Tops 8 inches wide, 15 inches long and 3/16 of an inch thick. back bands 4 feet long 1 1/2 inches wide and 3/8 of an inch thick. Billets on bottom of skirts: 9 inches long. The skirts, all straps, tops, back bands and billets of good oak tanned leather . . ." (D.C. contractor's letter describing what he has supplied to the QM for the Med. Dept.)
                            Attached Files

John Novicki
                            Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Just curious,

Can they change out the chrome hardware and add the double strap that appears to assist with the added weight on the fills.

There also appears to be some significant differences in the bridle.

Coupled with the photos, it could be a starting point to build from, if photos are the only refernce material available.

Good Luck with your project, and I hope you can share a few photos of the end result.

Jay H. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X