This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to train a horse for cavalry

hello i have a 4 1/2 year old tennesee walker how can i train him to neck rein and get him gun trained and is there any other training he will need to be a good cavalry horse

Mr. Pierce,
    This thread has been closed, and your account placed on a one-week read-only limit due to failure to sign your name to posts. I am leaving the thread in place, as others have shared useful information that may be of worth to other readers.

Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark
    Moderation Team
    Last edited by ElizabethClark; 07-16-2004, 09:24 AM. Reason: Unsigned Post

Training the Cavalry Mount

I'm training mine to neck-reining. Crossing the reins with a snaffle has been very productive. The curb isn't condusive to that approach because it pulls back and confuses the signal.

To reinforce neck reining when I have the curb in (reins not crossed) I lay the rein on his neck and lower the hand - so as not to pull the curb, at the same time adding the inside leg. I add direct rein as needed to reinforce the indirect rein - so, right rein on neck, left leg behind girth=left turn, etc.

A couple of books that have been VERY helpful to me:

Bomb-proof Your Horse by Rick Pelicano

This is a nice book that deals with the Police Horse angle, hits a few things you may not have thought of, like umbrellas.

Storey's Guide to Training Horses by Heather Thomas

Lots of stuff from foal to death, riding, driving, everything.

Nolan's System for Training Cavalry Horses
    online at: http://9thvirginia.com
    Good stuff at a good price! :)
    Gerald Todd
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Re: Training the Cavalry Mount

One thing that is important to remember is not to rush anything. Every horse, like humans, learn at their own pace. Be patient above all. If you have been using a snaffle...don't rush into a curb just because you think that is what's appropriate for an impression. A period, iron snaffle is most appropriate for training and even use as the picture below illustrates.

This was taken around Antietam, dating it to September 1862. Oh, and note the surcingle over quarter-straps.

Selected Civil War Photograph Collection - Library of Congress

Comment

Working...
      X