Another Sharp's Carbine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sharp's Carbine question

Thanks to those who replied to my original question about Sharp's Carbine blank cartridges. I've experimented with a few methods quite successfully.

I have two more questions regarding "live" firing. First of all can anyone recommend a source for .54 cal. bullets that reasonably replicate the original minie balls? Checking locally all I've found are modern style bullets (hollow point, "maxi" balls, saboted bullets etc.) for black powder hunting. I'd prefer not to have to mold my own, but if it comes to that I'd appreciate a source for a good, accurate mold as well.

Finally, I am unsure if or how to lube the completed live round. My only black powder experience is shooting a flintlock rifle with patched round balls (where the patch is obviously lubricated) and shooting percussion revolvers. I got into the habit of sealing each chamber with Crisco or one of the commercial preparations both to lube the round and prevent chain fires. How should one go about this with a carbine round? Were the original CW era rounds pre-lubed in the package?

Thanks for your patience with what are probably ridiculously basic questions, but this breech loading business is new to me.

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Re: Another Sharp's Carbine question

Originally posted by Mike N
    Thanks to those who replied to my original question about Sharp's Carbine blank cartridges. I've experimented with a few methods quite successfully.

I have two more questions regarding "live" firing. First of all can anyone recommend a source for .54 cal. bullets that reasonably replicate the original minie balls? Checking locally all I've found are modern style bullets (hollow point, "maxi" balls, saboted bullets etc.) for black powder hunting. I'd prefer not to have to mold my own, but if it comes to that I'd appreciate a source for a good, accurate mold as well.

Finally, I am unsure if or how to lube the completed live round. My only black powder experience is shooting a flintlock rifle with patched round balls (where the patch is obviously lubricated) and shooting percussion revolvers. I got into the habit of sealing each chamber with Crisco or one of the commercial preparations both to lube the round and prevent chain fires. How should one go about this with a carbine round? Were the original CW era rounds pre-lubed in the package?

Thanks for your patience with what are probably ridiculously basic questions, but this breech loading business is new to me.

Regards,

Mike Nugent
    Mike,
    I never even tried to find any precast Sharps bullets. I've always molded my own using a 54444 mold from Rapine. This is the traditional solid based, ring-tailed Sharps Christmas tree bullet.
    As for lubing them, after glueing the bullet to the paper cartridge and letting it set up, I would heat a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and crisco until it was liquid then dip the bullet into it and set it aside to dry.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Thanks Dave. I did a little hunting around and found that Dixie Gun Works sells the same Sharp's bullet made from the 54444 Rapine mold in lots of 100 for $23.00 As the mold costs $79.00 (+ the other stuff I'd need) and since I don't plan on really extensive live firing, I think this is the way to go for me.

Re: lubing the bullets. Does anyone know if the originals were pre-lubed in the packages? Seems that these could have become something of a mess from shipping and warm weather, even to the point of damaging the powder in the cartridge.

Mike Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by Mike N
        Thanks Dave. I did a little hunting around and found that Dixie Gun Works sells the same Sharp's bullet made from the 54444 Rapine mold in lots of 100 for $23.00 As the mold costs $79.00 (+ the other stuff I'd need) and since I don't plan on really extensive live firing, I think this is the way to go for me.

Re: lubing the bullets. Does anyone know if the originals were pre-lubed in the packages? Seems that these could have become something of a mess from shipping and warm weather, even to the point of damaging the powder in the cartridge.

Mike Nugent
        Mike,
        The rounds were lubed before being placed into the cartridge packets. The lube was a mixture of beef talow (sp?) and beeswax as far as I can tell. Having made and used a similar mixture from beeswax and crisco, I can say that if the proprtions are kept even on a 90+ degree day, the lube will not run.

Before shooting any precast bullets, make certain to inspect each bullet for casting flaws. Pits, wrinkles, cavities, and odd colorations are indicative of casting flaws that could result in a bullet not doind what is it intended to do (fly straight and true from the muzzle).

Dave Myrick

Comment

Working...
        X