Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Column

Another photo...

This one has a few things which make it interesting. First, its a cavalry column "in motion" crossing the Chesterfield Bridge on the North Anna. It doesn't give a specific time, though but the notes mention the rifle pits in the foreground and CS ones on the other side of the river. The ones on the foregroud are there, but I think we have a bit of mis-labeling again on the part of the LOC.

First, I've detailed the far bank, which appears to be a static camp of sorts and you can see smoke rising from the tents. Also, it appears this detachment is brining a herd back across the bridge as they follow behind them. In my opinion this picture is showing just that...a cavalry detachment bringing the herd back toward camp from grazing, travel, whatever...it could be anything.

The last thing I thought was interesting was the detail inside the blue square that clearly shows at least one and maybe a second man with rifles slung over their backs. Not sure why, but there could be many reasons for this...such as thats simply what they happened to be issued, they are detailed as "rifleman", etc.

Lots of questions could be raised about this, but I thought it was nice, regardless.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CJSchumacher; 07-29-2004, 03:07 PM.

Re: Federal Column

Perhaps not cavalry but mounted infantry? I'm not up-to-speed on mounted infantry regimenst in the AoP. Can anyone place a mounted infantry unit in this local during the time period?
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Although you really can't make out what type of weapons they are (they could be Spencer Rifles or Henry Rifles). Both the 10th NY Mounted Rifles or the 1st D.C. Cavalry are possibilities. The 1st D.C., as you remember, were the guards of the cattle during Hampton's Beefsteak raid in September 1864 , and were armed with Henry Rifles. The Michigan Brigade was initially armed with Spencer Rifles, but by this time had the carbine version. Just someting to think about.

John Sweeney

Comment

Greetings,

I would suggest you peruse the following work if you have not done so already: Grant and Lee: The Virginia Campaigns, 1864-1865 by William Frassanito. I don't have the book in front of me but I'm pretty sure he discusses the sequence of images of which this is a part. Here's an Amazon link to the book in question:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
        X