Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenny Donkey

Gentlemen,

I have recently acquired a jenny donkey--I believe the breed is known as "Jerusalem". Right now, she's loose in the pasture with the cows, won't speak to me, or let me get near enough to pat her(you don't want to know how she got there!) . She is, however, serving her primary purpose, to rain hell and death upon the neighborhood coyotes who were eating my geese and calves. :angry_smi

For the long term, I should like to make friends with her, and possibly train her as a pack animal for CW events. I would greatly appreciate a listing of good books relevant to the process. I am totally ignorant on the subject, so nothing is too elementary.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Jenny Donkey

One thing you might try to get aquainted is to bring a chair ,some carrots and a book out to the pasture. Sit in the chair with your back to the critter and ignore it while reading your book. When the animal approachs to see what you are doing turn away from it or slowly walk away. If she follows you then give it a carrot. She is probably upset over the move. With asses and mules it is better to convince them that something is their own idea and not yours. Otherwise with this proviso train using any equine methods but always go real slow. Either the Walsh or Parelli systems work well.
    Tom Mattimore

Comment

Go to luckythreeranch.com. Author and trainer Meridith Hodges has written several excellent books on training donks and mules. Most donkeys are very loving and crave human attention.

Best of luck.

PS: A donkey can live up to 40 years, so I hope you are ready for a long team commitment.
      Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

The Merideth Hodges series is an excellent reference tool. If you have Dish Network or Direct TV satellite services, Merideth has a regular Mule and Donkey program on the RFD-TV network. Working with donkeys is a little different than working with horses or mules, but there are some excellent resources out there. Alot might depend on how old your jenny is and how much she's been worked with as to whether or not you'll have much luck, but patience should pay off in the long term.

Another good source is to subscribe to Mules & More magazine or maybe the Brayer. Do a search on Google for donkeys and you should find good links to some good sources.
        Larry Morgan
        Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

undefinedAnother source for donkey info is www.mules.org Some knowledgeable donkey folks there.

Good luck!
          Mr. Sparrow, Please sign your name to all post.
          Coley Adair
          Cavalry Mod

Brian,

As Coley said, forum rules require you to sign your FULL name to your posts. You promised to read/acknowledge/abide our rules when you applied to our forum.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

Please consider this your First Warning

Scott McKay, moderator
          Authentic Campaigner Forums<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
          Last edited by Coley Adair; 08-21-2004, 08:08 PM.

Comment

My first and hopefully last warning. My humble apologies. I added the signature option so it won't happen again. Glad to see yall run a tight ship here.

Comment

Originally posted by Highfly
              My first and hopefully last warning. My humble apologies. I added the signature option so it won't happen again. Glad to see yall run a tight ship here.
              Good to see you post, Brian, and welcome. Don't worry about Coley. His bark is worse than his bite. Just remember not to ever ask him about the helicopter.
              Larry Morgan
              Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
              X