Federal Cav - Campaign Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Cav - Campaign Style

I am wondering if anyone could help with my efforts. I am going out on a limb and trying to recruit for federal Cavalry Unit that is willing to go to events campaign style. This would include correct gear, equipment, and above all else mindset. I am living in the midwest (IA) and it is somewhat of a challenge to bring together individuals with the same mindset. I am basically tired of yellow hat cords, stampede strings, railroad rags, overloaded saddles, improper riding, and the infamous dance of the saber dairies. I would like to make some changes. Any suggestions???

Bill Jordan
    Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Re: Federal Cav - Campaign Style

Bill,

I would be more than happy to join your merry band, although I'm in NW Minnesota. As you stated the mindset is the most important issue with this. The gear is always an issue, but IMHO should be veiwed with the three foot rule in mind. Where you will firmly establish your unit will be in the drill standards, mounted and dismounted.

Another thought would be to try to get a "core" of former or current military types who have some experiance in this type of camping. They may be a little more willing to rough it.

Your Humble Servant
    Mark Norman
    Sundog Quarterhorses

Comment

Besides your goal of a better impression, I would suggest that you also focus on better events. Like minded individuals all over trhe country manage to get together at one or two campaigner events each year.

If you improve your impression and attitude but are still camping next to the guys with the wall tents and coolers, then you really aren't experiencing it.

You've come to the right place to get the assistance and support that you may need as you embark on your journey.

Welcome and good luck!
      Mike Ventura
      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Bill,

On top of the advice about targetting the better events for your endeavor, I would suggest you get in touch with Frank Aufmuth. He is attempting to assemble a critical mass of cph infantry in the Trans-Mississippi theater at a couple of events each season. Next weekend, we will be doing a living history down at Wilson's Creek NMP.

If you or any of your like-minded mounted guys have a team of draft horses - you should shoot me an email. I'm involved in doing the same thing with wagons, draft horses, etc.

Phil Campbell
        Head Teamster, AoTM
        Crabby's Kids
        Phil Campbell

Comment

#1: Our biggest aid to growth has been our website. Nearly every active member we have came to us because of the site. A good website is an invaluable tool to build your unit.

#2: If you want to go up, hang with people that are going up. You'll never be an eagle hanging with the turkeys. If you do the goofey shoots, you'll be folded in with the goofeys, and you'll have to fight goofeyitis all the time. If there aren't many events to do - make some. Do demos at museums, historic sites, malls, tack shops, riding stables, etc (see #5). Hold unit rides, and instruction camps - make your own events and let folks come to you.

#3: Set standards and meet them. You are setting the example. If you cut corners, you people will cut corners, and you will not have their respect. Don't dumb down the unit's standards to get people in - you'll never get them up again. New folks have to know the deal before they sign on, and have to meet standards to stay on. If they won't, too bad. If they are obviously trying, help them, work with them, but keep them moving that way.

#4: Recruit for quality. If #3 bothers a prospect, it's his loss, and you'll have fewer headache down the road. You won't likely get 10 new solid recruits every year, but the 2-4 you do get will be good people, and the unit will be rock solid because of that.

#5: Recruit. Ads, signs, posters, links, demos at tack shops, malls, gun shows, etc; recruit, recruit, recruit, because as soon as you stop - the unit will whither away. People move on, leave the hobby, get sent away, get sick, and even die. You'll be lucky to get 2 good solid people a year, but you won't get any if they don't know you are there. Everyone in the unit is a recruiter, and should promote the unit, but make one person the official contact for recruiting and make sure he knows the party line, the unit's goals, and can speak for the unit to a prospective recruit - never forgetting #4.

#6: Be a unit. Work together on and off the field. Be military now, it's easier to get new people into a routine than old ones moved onto one. At events, feed together, water together, ride together, take roll calls, require notice when leaving camp, let your people know when things are happening. Make sure the NCOs have and know their jobs. A unit that works and acts like professionals gets treated that way. It also keep the guys looking out for each other which makes you all safer.

#7: Your unit may be the best, most authentic, sharpest dressed, dandies on earth - don't let it go to your head. With knowledge comes responsibility. All you did to be accepted won't mean crap if you're known as a bunch of self-righteous know-it-all twits. As you climb that ladder, your job is to reach back and help the guy behind you, not kick people off.

#8: Don't worry about horses. Demos, living histories, instruction camps, and the like have room for your equinely challenged boys to get in some time and learn. They may decide it's too much for them and move on. They may get bit and turn out to be a top notch cavalryman - you'll never know if you limit youself to guys that already own horses.

#9: Don't be afraid to ask. There's good folks here that will help you figure out obsticles. 1st Maine and 9th Virginia have lots of cav resources online with more coming.

And think about coming to Virginia next April for "Lee's Final Retreat." :)
          Gerald Todd
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Here's some good advice. Don't let anyone else tell you what's "right." Read books, look at photos, and pick over original items with a fine-tooth comb. Re-create everything from those three things as best you can...and you and your guys will be just fine. And above all...don't look back.

Like Jerry said...there are too many know-it-all-twits out there. :D

Comment

Well, since everyone else is chiming in, I may as well also. The advice here has been excellent, especially the part about getting in touch with Frank Afmuth. Don't be afraid to learn from the Infantry. Beg, steal and borrow as much as you can from the guys who have gone before, namely the hardcore Infantry units that are still holding strong and producing good units at good events. In my experience, the vast majority of what they do in campaigning can be easily converted to the mounted arm. Campaigning is campaigning is campaigning, whether we're doing it on horseback or on foot.

Good luck.
              Larry Morgan
              Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Jerry,

Your nine points posted below represent some of the best advice ever posted. Might not have much to do with campaigning, but it is darn good advice for long term reenactor group management.

Charles Heath
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  Jerry,

Your nine points posted below represent some of the best advice ever posted. Might not have much to do with campaigning, but it is darn good advice for long term reenactor group management.

Charles Heath
                  Agreed, some of the best I've read.
                  Dave Gink
                  2nd US Cavalry
                  West Bend, WI

Comment

Excellent post Mr. Todd, thank you.

#8 in particular has given me pause for thought: ( .....have room for your equinely challenged boys to get in some time and learn. .....you'll never know if you limit yourself to guys that already own horses.)

A very good point, after all, we all have to start somewhere don't we?
                    Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

I agree with #8 as well. I recently particpated all weekend as a mounted trooper with the help of a local freind. I would have other wise probably not have had the chance. After having spent at least 8 to 10 hours in the saddle all weekend and caring for a mount, it is all I can think about. I loved it! After 16 years in the infantry it was nice to have a new learning curve thrown at me. I think I am hooked. Now for the difficult part . . . getting the wife on board with the idea of equine ownership.
                      Rich Saathoff
                      [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
                      [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
                      [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

Bill,

ButtermilkRanger's suggestion is the route me and two other troopers took to join the campaigner ranks. We were tired of the farby events our unit was going to and the farby troopers that were being recruited just to fill ranks. It's pretty hard to find a good hard core campaigner cav. company in our neck of the woods (NE Iowa, NW IL, SW Wis.), so when we were invited to ride as scouts for a campaigner infantry company(Old Northwest Vol's) at one of their events and then invited to ride at all their events, it was a no brainer.

We spent many hours in the saddle scouting routes, finding partisan rangers, mounted vedettes, etc and carrying everything we needed on horseback, including issued rations(hard tack, side pork, coffee beans), which had to be foraged.

We are hopeful of increasing our mounted numbers so as to better serve the great group of guys that "brought us to the dance". The most important thing is the desire to accurately portray CW Cav. both in gear and mindset.

If you can, keep me posted on how things go, as we would be interested in joining up with a hard core Cavalry company for big cav events.

Good Luck

Chuck Soliday

Comment

Originally posted by Cav Sgt View Post

ButtermilkRanger's suggestion is the route me and two other troopers took to join the campaigner ranks. We were tired of the farby events our unit was going to and the farby troopers that were being recruited just to fill ranks.

........., we were invited to ride as scouts for a campaigner infantry company

After spending a lot of time and money only to find frustration and disapointment in the ranks of mainstream cavalry units, we also came to the conclusion that the answer is to work within a campaigner infantry company as detached scouts.

I'd far rather ride with two or three guys that are 'the kind', than twenty or thirty that ain't.

No farbs, no 'dance of the sabre fairies', and no looking back!
                          Last edited by Linkstrap; 11-07-2006, 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
                          Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

The Critters have for a long time made offers to good infantry to use a spare horse and attend a drill or "low impact" events. Hell, they recruited me out of the G.D.I. infantry at Pickett's Mill about 7 years ago. Tripp Corbin and Art Milbert have both taken us up over the years, although we seemed to have lost them to their obligations to infantry.
                            If you can get a butt in the saddle for an event or two who has a good kit already, that is your "baited field". Far easier than convincing Josie with a paint horse and western saddle that 4 pistols is not ok.
                            Just my opinion.
                            Patrick
                            Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                            Old wore out Bugler

Comment

1st Maine has done the same often inviting our equine challenged brethern in blue to come along for a "ride".
                              Dave Myrick

Comment

Working...
                              X