Watering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watering

Here's another photo...I know...starting to get old, but only one other after this...I promise.

This was just great because it not only shows civilians, but both infantrymen and cavalrymen. The great part about the cav guys is they're watering as you're supposed to be, either bareback or using just a blanket. The second picture shows two infantrymen with a cavalryman mounted in the water behind him using his '51 issue blanket. Note he's also wearing brogans.

The third shot shows three of the guys with definitely one, and maybe two wearing their mounted service jackets as evidenced by the trim on the back and bolsters. The one closest is also wearing his haversack with dipper attached.

This final two shots show the wagon with civilians. I thought this was interesting because it is labeled fugitives crossing in august of 1862. This could very well be the case, but you'll notice the parasol, which made me think at least one could be white. I also included a closeup of the four-up team pulling with yoke. Pretty cool.
    Attached Files

Re: Watering

Chris,
    I'd say all the mounted types are cavalry. Those wearing jackets are MSJ's. The photo label that I've seen is "contraband escaping Jackson's Army".

John Sweeney

Comment

Re: Watering

Chris:

Keep 'em coming! I love these photos!
      Mike Ventura
      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
      X