Taylor's Spencer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taylor's Spencer?

" I'm not sure there is one in Virginia, although there are some excellent Cavalry units in the central and southwest parts of the state, but I suspect most of them would be considered "mainstream" by most of the members of this forum."

***Hey there WARDOG..as far as I can see ya'lls outfit is 'quality' was on Morgan's Raid and..yall sure did a quality job protecting our parrot at Trevillian's station!

"As Adjutant of my unit, I am working very hard with my commanding officer, and a small but dedicated core of members, to travel closer toward the "dark side". We are currently in the process of setting up a Cavalry Camp of Instruction (CAVCOI) at Brandy Station next Summer to facilitate this very thing. While it is "quality" not "quantity" oriented, I may be able to get you an invite. We're very excited about this, and it looks like we may be blessed with some truly great Cav people as instructors.....meanwhile, we can help with the horsemanship.[/QUOTE]"

***Id be interested in this if possible! and probably some others with 1st Stuart.. tho Im not strictly "cav" horse artillery is in the cav department! would ya shoot me an email @ vamick@yahoo.com??
    Gary Mitchell
    2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
    Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

As far as a CS unit having spencers, consider this , I have a copy of ordinance and equipment return written on the back of a personal letter dated aug. 64 for the 25th NC. The numbering for NC regs is confusing but as the returns list saddles and swords for all 270 men presant for duty I think it is safe to assume this is a cav unit. To the subject, among the detailed list for longarms and carbines it list 5 spencer rifles. Now this is a small porportion of the weapons on hand but they where there. Also interesting to note that it list only 20 pistols for the whole reg. if I can scan a copy of this list I will post it.
      john
      [FONT=Georgia]John Cleaveland[/FONT]

Comment

At least one KY trooper had a Spencer....

He darn near shot the yarbels off Kilpatrick at Resaca with it. He was in the 1st KY, I believe his name was Prince. The source is Evans book, Sherman's Horsemen. It is in the footnotes.
        By the way, he blamed his horse for moving a bit as he fired, throwing off his aim a bit. The bullet struck Kilcavalry's saddle and drove a nail or fragement into his groin.
        That shows two things,
        1) Yes they DID fire from thier horses back sometimes
        2) Yes, it would cause inaccuracy
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Hey Gary, good to hear from you and Stuart's First. I'm not certain about Arty participation at the CAVCOI, but I agree that we go hand in hand...although I'm sure some of the "Longarm" boys would say that Cav should be in the Artillery Depatment!...Heh-Heh.I'll talk to the "mentors" and see, although I suspect that getting them Parrotts mobile would be desired. Is that something y'all could make happen by next June?

It was nothing but a pure honor, and some of the best fighting and fun I've ever had, defending your guns at Trevilian's. Your boys hand-to-hand combat with those bluebellies was awesome! I saw you and Lee going off, and I saw a few of those Yanks falling off as a result. Those boys from the 2nd Cav are something else!

I shot you that e-mail as you requested. Let's get together soon and slay the hated invaders...

Comment

Working...
          X