Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry saddle blanket cleaning

Comrades,

My saddle blanket is getting a bit messy with hair and horse sweat. What is the preferred method for cleaning one's saddle blanket? Cold water machine wash/will it shrink? Dry clean? Hose down over a clothesline? Vaccuum? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

HenryC
    Henry B. Crawford
    Curator of History
    Museum of Texas Tech University

Re: Cavalry saddle blanket cleaning

When I do wash my saddle blanket (1851 Federal Issue blanket), I use Orvis soap and cold water (hand wash) and air dry. Should keep it from shrinking and Orvis will not dry out the natural oils in the wool.

John Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by HenryC
      Comrades,

My saddle blanket is getting a bit messy with hair and horse sweat. What is the preferred method for cleaning one's saddle blanket? Cold water machine wash/will it shrink? Dry clean? Hose down over a clothesline? Vaccuum? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

HenryC
      Well one way to NOT do it is let my wife have it.... you end up with a 2/3rds scale blanket
      [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Use a horsebrush, not a curry comb, to get most of the dirt off. It ain't gonna stay totally clean for long anyhow... We all know what happens when you get wool wet!

Jon O'Harra
        Jon O'Harra
        Heartless Bastards Mess

Comment

Originally posted by HenryC
          Comrades,

Thanks,

HenryC
          i throw mine over the clothes-line and hose it off till all the hair and dirt is gone...or much as possible is gone.

darryl robertson
          buttermilk rangers
          Darryl Robertson

Comment

This should provide some basic advice:

Most feed and seed places like Agway or Southern States carry Orvus soap, as the sheep and lamb folks use a heck of a lot of it. It may seem a little pricey, but one container lasts a very long time. It also shows up at Orvis soap in a number of places, so maybe the tackle shop has sold enough clothing that they need their own brand of wool garment soap. More and more people are mentioning that old standby "Woolite" has a bleach additive it it, so it may be on it's way out.

Charles Heath
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
            X