Civilian Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civilian Saddles

First let me say sorry for the late entry into this post as I have just now started on this site , after a long absence, I am reading old posts.

I would disagree that a classical seat jumping, if done right, is harmful to the horse. I jump that style and yes, you do rise with the horse and back with the fall, but you should not pound the horses back. You roll your hips and polish the saddle and keep some of the weight in your legs on landing so there is no hard contact to the horses back. You remain verticle with the horse. Only the modern teachers, who are so used to the Caprilli style say this is harmful. They are not as familiar with anything else and often are very narrow minded in their approach to the subject because it is all they were taught. I know, in my business I have often had these discussions with many of them. Classical teachers such as, Baucher , L'Hotte, and Nolan would have probably differed with them as well. I would go on to say my experience should enlighten some. I will, at times, be on a horse for five hours foxhunting. This includes Jumping large heights, often at speed, and some runs can last +/- an hour. I ride a longer leg and deeper seat than most moderns and while the horse is very tired and sore from this marathon his back is no worse than any other horse who rider used the forward seat. I will also say that if you use only the forward seat, as in the hunter ring, you may not last long in the field. This is because in the real world (where everything is not flat and well groomed- and the horses go by at speed and in different directions.) riding too forward can loose you in a bad situation. Many a show rider has hit the ground because they didn't ride defensively enough, in other words you've got to sit back some in deep ground, sharp turns,and twisting trappy jumps. The horse often needs to engage his rear and with your weight out over his neck that can be difficult, not to mention your center of balance when in a sharp trappy turn and the horse turns out from under you. Now this is not too say that you can't sore a horse's back, as with any style, a poor rider who is not a light rider will sore the back. Just food for thought concerning the 20th century style and the 19th.
    By the way, as military saddles go a Jenifer is very comfortable for jumping with it's close contact and low pommel. The mac is not quite as much because of the higher more pronounced pommel but it's ok. Remember the period manual says you should be able to rise six inches which is more than enough to get off the horses back. As for the texas saddle, one has to be careful of your position so as to not jam the horn in your stomach, though I have seen it done easily by others. I am going to make a mulie saddle (texas w/o the horn) as I believe it would be very comfortable.
    Another By the way, foxhunting is the closest thing the American continent will ever see to real cavalry again, the simularities are vast. But that is a post for later.
    Last edited by T.Kern; 06-13-2004, 05:28 PM. Reason: military saddle for jumping
    Todd Kern

Comment

Re: Civilian Saddles

Hi Todd,

Thanks for chiming in on this. I talked with my instructor about this issue after this thread came out and he said that the primary benefit of the forward seat is that it is much easier to teach someone to jump; the classical seat is more difficult. With the forward seat you can get someone jumping a lot quicker, and get less skilled people to be able to jump without interfering with the horse. But he agrees with you that the classical seat if done properly, is not harmful to the horse. From his point of view the harm done is the riders banging the horse's back or mouth, not because of a "problem" with the classical seat per se. He has done a lot of fox hunting and cross country riding (graduated from Morvan Park when they still had their instructor certification program) and from his description of that seat he also rode "deeper" and with quite a bit longer leg, than the show jumpers do.

Ken Morris

Comment

Working...
      X