No announcement yet.

New Cavalry Photos Posted on Web Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cavalry Photos Posted on Web Site!

Readers!

I have posted some new artifact photos and a couple of new "mounted Confederate" photos on my web site www.confederatesaddles.com
    Most of these (and more) are available in my books but I thought I might share some of them with all of you now!! No cost or obligation....and... even more coming in the future so keep posted!

Confederately Yours,
    Ken R. Knopp

Re: New Cavalry Photos Posted on Web Site!

Originally posted by Ken Knopp
    Readers!

I have posted some new artifact photos and a couple of new "mounted Confederate" photos on my web site www.confederatesaddles.com
    Most of these (and more) are available in my books but I thought I might share some of them with all of you now!! No cost or obligation....and... even more coming in the future so keep posted!

Confederately Yours,
    Ken R. Knopp
    Ken,

It's always a pleasure to see you share information, thanks! I really enjoyed seeing the Morgan saddle but please tell me the pommel holsters are modern add-ons, egads!! I have really enjoyed Crouch's book recently too BTW. It's nice to see more resources. Again, thanks and best wishes.

Neill Rose
    PLHA
    L&W

Comment

Mr Knopp Thank you for sharing !

Readers!

Confederately Yours,
      Ken R. Knopp
      I have both your books,and recomend them to everyone with even a passing interest in ACW horse furniture.
      I do have a question for you, is the bottom of the CS nose bag canvas or leather? I am going to make some up and want to get it right.
      I have made several single ringhalters from your drawings, the only problem I have with them is my pards keep buying them faster than I can make them !
      [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind words. As for the pommel holsters on the recently discovered J.H. Morgan saddle, No, I do not believe they are original to the saddle. In all honesty, my information on this saddle is limited. I have seen some photos and talked many, many times with the owner of the saddle. He has some very interesting and unusually good documentation on this saddle (unlike most CS saddles). Interestingly, the saddle is part of an upcoming TV show on PBS in the next two weeks or so (not sure of date and time but will let you know). The TV show does a "Investigating History" type documentary on the saddle and documents and it seems there are some gaps in documentation on the saddle but the show really raises more questions then it answers. I should point out that I was to be sent the saddle for a "hands on" look and then be flown to Kentucky to be a part of the TV show's production but at the last minute I was cancelled. It seems to me that some politics entered into that ultimate decision but I am sorry, I would rather not go any further into this issue. In any event, I am very intrigued by the saddle. Though I have not handled it, I have several photos and I have copies of the documentation. In spite of the TV show, this saddle may very well be legitimate. In any event, I have reason to believe it might be but there is more to this story and without futher evidence to the contrary I cannot say for 100% sure.
        As for the nose bag, the original was found hanging in a barn in Virginia and being used as a "nail bag". As I understand it, the same family has owned the farm since well before the war and family history is quite positive that it belonged to their ancestor- a member of the Amelia Light Dragoons, 1st Va. Cavalry.
        It is of all canvas construction, approx 6 1/2 incheswide at the bottom by 13 1/2 to 14 inches in height. The bag was reinforced by a 1/4 inch cord or rope sewn into the canvas top edge. My good friend David Borne discovered the bag some years ago and provided me this information. Thank you Dave! for more information on nose bags and this artifact in specific see my book MADE IN THE CSA, SADDLE MAKERS OF THE CONFEDERACY, page 46. Hope this helps.

Best, Ken R. Knopp

Comment

Un Identified on Fancy Saddle question...

Mr. Knopp,

I have a question for you concerning one of the photos on your site. It's the Un Identified on Fancy Saddle... are you sure this is a Civil War era image? I'm no expert by any menas and am not challenging you at all but when I look at that picture it looks ALOT like a woodcut of a Texas ranger from the Mexican War that I believe came from a book printed in '49 or '50(I'll check when I get home). The collar on the jacket doesn't look like a real common style of the '40's but the sleeves are still snug fitting like they were during that period and it looks kind of like he's got a flintlock longarm across his lap but I may be wrong. Maybe it's a '49er or some other "frontiersman" from the mid-19th century. I just liked that image and wondered what you could tell me about it. I appreciate your patience and time on this one and look forward to your comments!

Dios, libertad y Tejas,
          Scott McMahon
          S.W. Frontiers Mntd. Ranging Co.
          Dios, libertad y Tejas,
          Scott McMahon
          Pyramid #593
          Grand Lodge of Texas A.F.&A.M.

"It was not unusual, on the march from the Rio Grande, to behold the most decided evidences of terror and apprehension among the Mexican inhabitants, and more particularly whenever they caught sight of the Texas rangers..."

John S. Jenkins- History of the War Between the United States and Mexico

Comment

Re: Un Identified on Fancy Saddle question...

Sir,
            Thank you for your note. Regarding your question of the photo....According to my understanding and memory, this photo is of war time vintage and is identified (by name- though I cannot recall his name nor can I find his name in my notes- sorry!) as a member of the 14th Confederate Cavalry (I think). He was stationed at Ft. Morgan Alabama near Mobile and the photo may well have been taken there. In fact, this information was secured from Ft Morgan's museum. The photo and some additional information about this trooper (a letter I believe) is on display there. Perhaps someone there can be more helpful.
            I am so sorry that I am not more decisive on my information. Upon receiving your inquiry a quick search of my notes could not find the information I desired to be more accurate. The late hour and a lack of time prevented me from being more forthcoming. However, more complete information I am sure can be secured from Ft. Morgan. Please accept my apologies in this matter.
            I hope you enjoy the mounted photos posted on the website. They are difficult to come by and only these few have been uncovered or "published" to my knowledge. I am sure more exist "out there" and I eagerly await their discovery. Let me know if I can be of any further service.

Ken R. Knopp

Comment

Mr. Knopp,
              Thanks for your reply! It is certainly an intersting image as are the rest found on your site. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of your book on Confederate saddles and especially any information regarding British tack that it might contain! Thanks again for your time!

Scott McMahon
              Dios, libertad y Tejas,
              Scott McMahon
              Pyramid #593
              Grand Lodge of Texas A.F.&A.M.

"It was not unusual, on the march from the Rio Grande, to behold the most decided evidences of terror and apprehension among the Mexican inhabitants, and more particularly whenever they caught sight of the Texas rangers..."

John S. Jenkins- History of the War Between the United States and Mexico

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind words. As for the pommel holsters on the recently discovered J.H. Morgan saddle, No, I do not believe they are original to the saddle. In all honesty, my information on this saddle is limited. I have seen some photos and talked many, many times with the owner of the saddle. He has some very interesting and unusually good documentation on this saddle (unlike most CS saddles). Interestingly, the saddle is part of an upcoming TV show on PBS in the next two weeks or so (not sure of date and time but will let you know). The TV show does a "Investigating History" type documentary on the saddle and documents and it seems there are some gaps in documentation on the saddle but the show really raises more questions then it answers. I should point out that I was to be sent the saddle for a "hands on" look and then be flown to Kentucky to be a part of the TV show's production but at the last minute I was cancelled. It seems to me that some politics entered into that ultimate decision but I am sorry, I would rather not go any further into this issue. In any event, I am very intrigued by the saddle. Though I have not handled it, I have several photos and I have copies of the documentation. In spite of the TV show, this saddle may very well be legitimate. In any event, I have reason to believe it might be but there is more to this story and without futher evidence to the contrary I cannot say for 100% sure.
                As for the nose bag, the original was found hanging in a barn in Virginia and being used as a "nail bag". As I understand it, the same family has owned the farm since well before the war and family history is quite positive that it belonged to their ancestor- a member of the Amelia Light Dragoons, 1st Va. Cavalry.
                It is of all canvas construction, approx 6 1/2 incheswide at the bottom by 13 1/2 to 14 inches in height. The bag was reinforced by a 1/4 inch cord or rope sewn into the canvas top edge. My good friend David Borne discovered the bag some years ago and provided me this information. Thank you Dave! for more information on nose bags and this artifact in specific see my book MADE IN THE CSA, SADDLE MAKERS OF THE CONFEDERACY, page 46. Hope this helps.

Best, Ken R. Knopp
                Ken, how wide is the bag at the top?

Comment

Originally posted by KyCavMajor
                  Ken, how wide is the bag at the top?
                  Tod,

So sorry!! Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner. My computer and my e-mail has been down most of the last 3 weeks.
                  I am additionally sorry that I will not be able to answer your question. I went back to my original notes on the artifct and could not find a measurement for the top. Though the bottom and side measurements are there (and noted in my earlier post) I could find nothing new to add except some facts about the stitching around the eyelets. I am sorry. Other few note about nose bags are as found in my books.
                  I can add this however, ....many thousands of nose bags were made by the Confederacy. I know that Clarksville Va (Ord. Harness Shops) made over 8,400 from June 62 to August 63. Another contracto maker in Memphis made 8,200 in just a few months in 1861-1862. Other arsenals made many, many more including Nashville, Selma, Columbus Ga. Atlanta and others. I find notations for them in records of "stores on hand", being manfuactured by contractors or issued. Interestingly, it is certain that when Artillery units were issued guns, limbers, harness, etc., a nose bag was a consistent item of issue with the saddles, bridles, collars, hames, and other items for each of the horses. They are routinely found among the lists of items sent with limbers and forge wagons (a large list of interesting items right down to rivets, sewing awls, hammers, etc.) issued en masse to AOT artillery from the arsenals at Atlanta, Augusta, etc.
                  I have only a little detailed information about them being issued to individual cavalry units or men but it is obvious, requisitions for nose bags were made, the item was prioritized as important during a time of shortage and, many were manfuactured. Surely cavalrymen would have been routinely issued this item too either early in the war or later, when proximity to supply bases permitted.

Ken R. Knopp

Comment

Ken,
                    I appreciate your effort to answer my question. The additional information is most valuable as well.
                    I can extrapolate the other dimension I think, I mean it just has to fit around my horses head. I intend to have one for Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                    X