Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddles

I recently came across a saddle that I believe to have been used during the civil war. I have been trying to find one for a while now. The first one I purchased is definately a replica. There are no real distinguishing marks other than the wooden stirrups and it is tagged 11 1/2 inch seat. There are some initials stamped on the front but I cannot make them out real well. If anyone would care to help me identifying this piece, I would be glad to send photos. Thanks in advance ~

Jimmie Eckroth

Re: Saddles

To be sure you need to get ordnance memo 18 from 1872 which has detailed cross sections and measurements for the proposed 72 tree. A 59 or 63 A.A. tree would be narrower in the gullet and have a higher pitch to the bars as it was built for a 800 to 900 lb horse. Ordnance memo 29 has the measure and details for the actually built 85 pattern tree. True 59 trees are very rare but 85, 96 and 02 trees were made in large numbers as well as large numbers made for the civilian market by civilian makers (see Mossmans Illustrated Catalog for examples)
    Tom Mattimore

Comment

Re: Saddles

Originally posted by lronhead
      There are no real distinguishing marks other than the wooden stirrups and it is tagged 11 1/2 inch seat.

Jimmie Eckroth
      Jimmie,

Without seeing the sadddle, the shield plate on your saddle probably knocks it out of CW contention. All originals I've seen in person, in museums, or photos all have either a plain brass shield (very common), allegheny (if its was from that arsenal), or simply a 1, 2, or 3, stamped to correlate with the sizings 11, 11 1/2, and 12 inch seat.

I believe the numbered plates started coming out around the 1880's, but most definitely standard on '04 McClellan's.

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X