Carbine cartridge box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbine cartridge box

I've tried to find any knind of US regulation that would tell me what was the official way to wear a cartrige box. I've been told to wear my on my crbine sling and then I was told I should wear it on my belt. If it goes on my belt then where should my pistol box go? I would prefer any early war or prewar information.

Thanks

Andy miller
    1st CAL Cav
    Arizona Rangers
    [U]Andy Miller[/U]
    1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
    [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Re: Carbine cartridge box

Andy,
    While I don't know of any actual regulation (I'll have to look though), There are plenty of images which show them in both locations and once in the field it becomes a matter of personal preference to some degree. Also by examining original boxes, you can in some instances determine where they were worn and used by the wear patterns in the leather and again you find evidence of them being worn and used in either location.
    If you are going to wear the carbine box on your saber belt, then the usual order is as follows;
    Right side of the belt from front to back would be cap pouch, holster and carbine box. The revolver box is on the left side of the belt usually between the saber straps but sometime it can be found between the buckle and the saber hanger.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Andy Miller
      1st CAL Cav
      Arizona Rangers
      [U]Andy Miller[/U]
      [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Fitting the carbine box over a Union buckle (with a rivited keeper preventing the removal of said buckle) is always fun!

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Like they said, it's mainly personal prefernce, whatever way feels comfortable. Both on the belt and on the sling are documented.
          Paul "Curly" Richardson
          9th Ky Cavalry CSA

Comment

Guys, when you are as scrawny as I am it's one the carbine sling, there is no room for it all on my belt! I have to wear a shoulder strap or my saber belt ends up way down on my hips, on its way to my knees. Plus last year I was unhorsed for the first time in years, a carbine box with tins in the middle of the back upon landing flat on my back hurt... not that day or the next but the third day, driving home...
            Owing it all to the grace of a tape worm...
            Later, TEH
            [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Zack I can appriciate that, my wifes horse through me and I was out of commision for 2 weeks. We'll if it's personal preference, then I'm going with my carbine box on my hip. I portray early war in AZ, that means I won't have 2+ pistols and won't reload in the saddle. I have though reloaded my sharps in the saddle with relitive ease (On my old horse).

Andy Miller
              1st CAL Cav
              Arizona Rangers
              [U]Andy Miller[/U]

Comment

Working...
              X