X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60th Tenn Mounted Infantry

Hey all,

Are there any good books on mounted infantry? I have done some cursory
    research, and there does not seem to be a lot of information out there. I am
    considering portraying an officer in the 60th Tenn (Mounted) Infantry, and
    have found a microfilm exists on that unit, and I have information on the
    battle he was captured in, but I have found little on what it was like to be
    mounted infantry, i.e., how it differed from the cavalry, the opinions of both
    regular foot infantry and cavalry on the mounted infantry, how many of these
    units were there among the more standard branches of service, etc. I have a
    rough idea of what they had with them, but I am not even sure of wether they
    carried full size rifled muskets or rifles.
    If I can get some information on this, I will go ahead with this portrayal. It
    would be fitting in my family, as my wife has an anscestor who was mounted
    Infantry out of Missouri, and was captured with Confederate forces in
    Louisiana. It would be sort of a tribute to him.
    Your most obedient servant and comrade,
    James C. Schumann
    Mess #3
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Re: 60th Tenn Mounted Infantry

I've recently done some research into federal mounted infantry units. Most were armed with Enfield RM or US RM with bayonets. I have seen some instances of a few units carrying pistols and dragoon sabers but this is the minority of those I researched. Lucas's brigade of the 19th AC in La had several mounted infantry units in it.

The old sibley brigade, although cavalry, was primarily a mounted infantry brigade (dismounting and fighting on foot.) They also carried the Enfield RM that was prevalent with many infantry units in the 19th AC. Theopholis Noel of the 4th TX Cav. mentions charging on foot at the Battle of Mansifleild with Bayonet and pistol. He also mentions shooting his "long Enfield."

Didn't Forrest's cavalry division in many instances carry the Rifle Musket?
    Rich Saathoff
    [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
    [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

From my research alot of Forrest troopers were armed with RM's. A majority of their prisoners were infantry, thus where they received their rearmorment. From what I recall there were CS artifacts from Brices crossroads that support this.

As for out west here, I know the US Mounted rifles were still issued Mississippi's and 55 Springfields. Going back to the origional question Mounted Infantry were just that. They would ride with the Cav then dismount and form up as infantry, every 4th Man holding 3 horses. Now on a drill aspect, I don't know if they called out by 2's or by 4's (higher math).

Andy Miller
      1st CAL Cav
      Arizona Rangers
      [U]Andy Miller[/U]
      1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
      [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Take everything one uses for a good inf impression and sit on a horse to get there.
        Todd Kern

Comment

Working...
        X