Bit Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bit Makers

I would agree with Todd on Cooke's manual, which, unfortunately, is the one that has been widely reproduced. His single-rank tactics were accepted by the War Department at the end of October 1861, by which time so many volunteer units, not to mention the regulars, were training in Poinsett's double-rank tactics that very few federal units used Cooke's until Wilson applied it in the western theatre late in the war. In the east, the 1st Maine and a couple of the Michigan regiments trained to it, but they had to pretend to operate in two ranks when cavalry commanders were around. Early in 1864, Pleasonton specifically prohibited single-rank tactics in the AoP.

That being said, I think that some of the preliminary material may be worth considering as it represents an 1860 perspective rather than an 1840 view. But, as I believe Todd was indicating, the single-rank tactics were so rare in the war that they should not be represented in reenacting except in very specific cases. Get a copy of the repro edition of Patten's Cavalry Drill and Sabre Exercise, the condensed version of Poinsett's.

Andrew German
    Andrew German

Comment

This horse was broken to a harsh bit from the beginning. When I bought him the former owner had a hackimore with a gag bit. The chin strap was so tight that it would draw blood when it was ued, and he roped off this horse 6 out of 7 days for four years. I now have worked with him enough that he can respond to a correction bit with the slightest pressure. I have started him off on the cav bit but again all I get is a fight when asking him to do any thing. In the past couple of days though we have gained a little progress in cues and hopefully soon he'll not have a problem with the bit. all I need is a bit to transition to ( have another low port bit).

On a side note I do use a running martingale on him with some success but the real problem is exposure, I try to go to every reenactment I can with this one unfortunitly there isn't many in AZ, especially where cav in concerned. And to top all that off I'm still correcting some other bad habbits that he got from his prior owner. Believe me I'm about 2 seconds away from selling him but dang my wife for calming me down when I really get hot.:baring_te

Andy Miller
      1st CAL Cav
      Arizona Rangers
      [U]Andy Miller[/U]
      1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
      [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

As a someone who has ridden reining horse for around 7 years competitively, and worked for a reining trainer; I would suggest doing face work with the horse rather than going to a more severe bit. Judging by your photograph (I'm assuming its this horse) the animal is high and needs more control in the bridal. This is the source of your problem Using a more severe bit is not going to get any response with the animal. Instead, try to reexamine your methods, tying the horse's face back and driving it up into the bridal would help soften the animal immensely (try a snaffle bit here). Basically its not the bit that’s wrong: its the handling of the situation as a whole. If the animal was mistreated and mistrained as a 2/3 yr old you may be better off to go back to basic stuff like line driving, snaffle bit riding, etc. to help the animal become more responsive. More than likely, this higher port bit that you are looking for is going to scare the animal more (in terms of softening) and probably is going to make the situation worse. To help yourself out, when your riding at home and have the ability, work the horses face constantly (that is, get it to give into the bit, and lower its head) and try to stay calm with it. I think most of the time we will find that our horses respond less to us if we get aggravated. More than likely if you stay calm in fixing these problems with the horse, it will learn to yield its power.

In doing these things, your horse will become more broke, a better competitor, and will eliminate the need for the new bit.

Andrew Marcum
        Andrew Marcum

Comment

Hi Andy,
          Yes, you have some bad training to undo, however in my experience you can't work the problem backwards. If you decide to keep the horse, I'd recommend you go back to the beginning and put in the correct foundation that was probably never put there. That means lateral flexing and getting the hindquarters to disengage, then work on the back up, stop and gait changes. If you're interested in more information, find Ray Hunt or Bill Dorrance's stuff or PM me. Also, I'd be happy visit with you about events with cav near you.

Respectfully,
          Alan McFadden

Comment

We'll I guess I taking this from a Ropers stand point. Yes this is the horse that I'm refering to. When I took that picture I had him for about a month and shot off his back about 10 minutes before, naturally he was hyper. I've been going back to the basics and again come along way. The biggest hurtle is plastic bags, He was never sacked out as a foal and now he's 10-11 and is pretty much set in his ways. He does have a good temperment and is a smooth ride. He handeled pretty well in Las Vagus, but wanted to explode. I was sure that the Cav Commander wouldn't let me ride but turns out that he was one of the better mounts out there. Finally I would drop this horse like a bad habbit but he's an aswome roping horse.

Allen I will PM you tomorrow, I have to play sailor in the morning (US Naval Reserves) and have to get to bed.

Andy Miller
            1st CAL Cav
            Arizona Rangers
            [U]Andy Miller[/U]
            1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
            [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Working...
            X