Congdon's Cavalry Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congdon's Cavalry Compendium

I live in West Virginia and my family has deep roots in the Civil War. We lost three boys and my great great grandfather spent time at Castle Thunder (a tobacco warehouse/hospital/prison) across from Libby prison...then on to Salisbury, NC at a converted sugar factory. General Lee visited our home on two occasions. That being said, I am inquiring about a book we have entitled CONGDON'S CAVALRY COMPENDIUM, with a label "Philp and Solomon's Metropolitan Book Store Washington D. C". It was published in 1864 by Lippincott, Philadelphia. I searched online for another example of the book so I could understand how this fits into the scheme of things and could find no other copy....only reproductions offered. I see that Philp and Solomon sold other books related to the Civil War and would be very happy to learn more. Thank you very much in advance. Tom Shipley (Slatyfork, WV)
    Tim Shipley

Comment

Re: Congdon's Cavalry Compendium

Not sure exactly your question. Author James A. Congdon was a major in the Twelfth Pennsylvania Cavalry. It was an instructional manual for enlisted and NCO cavalry. The preface offers the best explanation of its purpose:

"The design of this book is to furnish enlisted men in the cavalry service with all the information necessary to enable them to understand their duties; also, to show them their rights, privileges, and allowances and to point out the relations that exist between them, the Government, the superiors appointed over them, and each other.
      A large portion of the information contained in this work is spread through a great number of expensive books, that soldiers would find it difficult to procure, and impossible to carry in the field. Much of the instruction here contained, although observed for many years in the regular cavalry, has never before appeared in print.
      As it is almost impossible for officers, during active operation in the field, to instruct non-commissioned officers and privates in their duties, it is hoped they will find this book a valuable assistant.
      The above are the reasons which impelled the author to prepare this little work. If it will lighten the labors of his brother officers, and tend in any degree to make the persons for whom it is designed more efficient, he will feel well rewarded".

- J.A.S.
      Jeff Nichols
      Valley Light Horse

Comment

Working...
      X