Newest Cartridge Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest Cartridge Project

Here is the latest project I have been working on for my impression. For about the past year I have wanted to make my cartridges for my Sharps more authentic looking. I believe I am getting close. There are still a few improvements I hope to make, but they are better than the ones I previously was using.

These cartridges are made with a faximilie of the bullet at the end made out of Florafoam. I take a brass tube the closest I had to .54, and punched out some cylinders of florafoam. Then I cut them to the size of a bullet and took sandpaper to one end to create the tapered point. Cigarette paper is used for the powder tube. After the tube is rolled I tied it to the end of the "bullet" and added the powder. Then I took gray acrylic paint and painted the florafoam bullet.

Tommarow I plan on testing these cartridges just to make sure that the paint on the florafoam does not make it ridged and therefore not able to completely combust.

There are still a few things I do not like about the appearance.
    1. The florafoam has does not have a smooth surface like a cast bullet would have. Any suggestions for this??
    2. I tried using glue from a gluestick to make the paper tube attach to the bullet. I was not able to make the tube stay attached to the bullet with just the glue therefore I had to tie on the tube with string. I have not seen any originals with string to attach the tube. Are there any examples of this out there??

Comments and suggestions are definately welcome!!!!
    Here are a few pictures of the cartridges.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by IowaYank; 12-28-2007, 12:16 AM.
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: Newest Cartridge Project

I dont know if those previous pictures worked, so here is a new try at pics.
    Attached Files
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

Great effort Dan!

I don't have any suggestions other than to keep experimenting. My passion is then Enfield round and I keep experimenting and each “draft” yields better results.

I am very interested to hear your results with shooting the Florafoam. If it does combust, I may try that as the bullet for the Enfield rounds I make.

Bully Job!

Kindest Regards,
      [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
      Dirigo Grays
      CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
      Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Hallo!

I think you might will have a hard time produing a smooth "simulated" bullet with foam without either dissolving the foam or creating a layer of something that might form projectile material of sorts...

In brief and to over-generalize...

Prior to 1859, the only Sharps bullet in official use was the "Old Model" ring-tailed style that required the cartridge paper to be tied to it.
        While the Sharps carbines geenrally received favorable recommendations and endorsements, the Sharps cartridges did not. Basically over the fragile nature of the cartridge overlap seams, and the weak junction of the bullet with the paper.
        Starting with the New Model 1859, (aka "Improved") Sharps revised the cartridge to be attached the bullet to the cartridge with "adhesive preparation." However, for a while, the cartridge was made with a folded tail as well as tail-less, as well as paper or linen (and contractor produced cartridges such as the Johnston & Dow, and Hazard Powder Co. variations, and folded tail, paper patched base, inserted paper base, inserted linen base, linen case paper base, etc.).

Basically, the ring-tailed, folded tail, string tied Sharps cartridge is a pre War type.

Of the maybe five or six Pre War and early War "Old Model" cartridges I have seen, all had very short folded tails roughly no longer in their two folds than the width of the base or slightly less. The first fold across the base, and the second fold a "base width" up the side of the cartridge.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well, the firing did not go as well as I hoped. The cartridge fired fine, but the "bullet" acted just as that, a bullet. When I fired, about 10 feet in front of me everytime you could see the bullet drop down in the snow. It looks like the painting of the florafoam does not allow it to dissintegrate. I know that florafoam works, because that is often used in Smith cartridges with no problem. It is just the painting gray of the bullet make it not dissintegrate. Does anyone know if they make gray florafoam??? A green bullet wouldnt look to good. ;)
          Last edited by IowaYank; 12-28-2007, 12:55 PM.
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

Do you think the foam would accept a dye? Maybe for fabric?

Comment

I know someone who packs cornmeal into the end of his Sharps cartridges. It makes for a nice bang, (doesn't look like a real cartridge) but it has the "wonder wad effect" It acts as a projectile.
              Last edited by civilwarcaptain; 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: fix grammar

Comment

Morning Dan,
                Check out various types of foam used in the pipe insulation or for medical purposes. You might try to contact Mr. Calloway as he deals in sports medicine kind of equipment. Or check WC's athletic training room and see what kind of foam they have. It should come in a large, "sheet-like" form.
                Mark Krausz
                William L. Campbell
                Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                Old Northwest Volunteers
                Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hallo!

In all of these years, I have never known or heard of a lad who solved the problem of having a simulated bullet.

The problem is, what material with form, mould, or set smooth that DOES NOT become any form of solid, semi-solid, or particulate substance that can be propelled burning or not from the muzzle of a gun?

In my experience and exposure, over the years, it comes down to this.

Lads have tried cast wax bullets, bullets molded or pressed or formed from papier mache, styrofoam, florist's foam, Cream of Wheat and yellow or white corn with a weak glue binder, expanding insulation foam, etc., ALL project some material from the muzzle. How far it flies with what rapidly losing speed and energy varies. (as does some setting dry grass on fire...)

I will say the worst was a pard of mine at a modern parade, who thought that wax Minies would increase the "blank fart" report but the wax Minie liquefied and vaporized by the heat of the powder blast BEFORE it left the bore. He loaded the first one for our scheduled firing in front of the grand-stand, aimed at an overhead street light, and fired.
                  BOOM! followed by falling glass bits...

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Dan,
                    I'm working on trying to figure out a method of using paper pulp to "cast" a bullet from. I'll let you know how it turns out.
                    Dave Myrick

Comment

Brian, I have not though of using dye, I will have to persue that avenue.

Mark, good to hear from you. I will have to look into other foams.

Dave, I will be very interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks Everyone.
                      Dan Chmelar
                      Semper Fi
                      -ONV
                      -WIG
                      -CIR!

Comment

Dave, have you got any advances with the paper pulp bullet???
                        Dan Chmelar
                        Semper Fi
                        -ONV
                        -WIG
                        -CIR!

Comment

Dan
                          They do make florist foam in grey, I just got some last week at the florist for another project I am working on. Also you might want to try curler papers instead of cigarette papers. Lots of N-SSA shooters make there sharps cartridges out of curler paper and it completely disappears when fired. Hope this helps.
                          Terry
                          Terry Schultz

Comment

Dan,
                            No I have not.
                            Dave Myrick

Comment

I'm curious myself how those "pulp" bullets will work.

In the meantime, I've been trying my hand at making arsenal packs based on templates Jerry Todd had provided, however I created my own label from an original pack I found at an auction site.

I'm using 3M masking paper and running it through my printer. Although it's too thin to run by itself, so I need to tape the masking paper to regular paper first. Then it works fine

This is my first attempt - and I haven't sealed the tops yet, but what do you think?
                              Attached Files
                              Dave Gink
                              2nd US Cavalry
                              West Bend, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X