Pinney's 5th Wisconsin Battery - Quotes from Primary Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinney's 5th Wisconsin Battery - Quotes from Primary Sources

Below are some quotes from letters and diaries belonging to soldiers that served in the 5th Wisconsin battery (Pinney's Battery) 1861 - 1865.
    I have copies of over 350 letters and the diary from three members of the battery.
    This includes the last letter written by Capt. Pinney before the battle of Stones River.
    Thanks be to Capt. Oscar F. Pinney, Cpl. Wm. Ball and Pvt. Alexander Coates for leaving us such a wonderful record of the 5th Battery's activities during the war.

UNIFORMS

I have 2 undershirts and three over shirts, 2 pair of breeches, a good jacket, an over coat which serves at night as a quilt, a good blanket and a rubber one, a pair of shoes and a pair of boots which I wear turn-a-bout. - William Ball

ORDNANCE & WEAPONS

We have 4 light steel rifled 10 pound parrot guns with caissons and limbers to match.

We lack horses and harness.

Forby painted our cannon black and they look quite snaptious
    William Ball 4-11-1862

Lt. Smith is delighted to find that he is in command of a section, that he has such fine horses and such light active boys to work his two howitzers which are chiefly used in close quarters and require rapid firing.
    William Ball 4-28-186

RATIONS & COOKING

We can make a splendid meal out of toast bread, butter and molasses. William Ball 12-6-1861

I can beat you, Sib, at making coffee. My plan is this:
    Put a tin pail over the stove fire with just as much COLD water in it as you wish coffee. Pour in the coffee at once. Let the whole thing come to a boil and then set it off for five minutes in which time it will cool a little. In this manner I make a cup of coffee without a ground in it and this, sweetened with sugar, makes a cup fit for a king or a high private in the front rank.
    William Ball 12-25-1861

Our work is divided up – one cooking one day – another the next and so on till each has taken his turn – so, having 5 to divide the work among, I only have to cook once in 5 days.
    William Ball 1-25-1862

In the night the boys found a dead hog, cooked it and ate it while there. Twas first rate. William Ball 4-3-1862

Take all the unsifted meal you want, pour Mississippi water in it, mix it up, and it is ready for the griddle. If you think of it add salt, if not don’t. William Ball 4-4-1862

Went out foraging today and succeeded pretty well. Got a half bushel of apples, My haversack full of potatoes, my canteen full of sorghum and one fourth of a hog.
    Alexander Coates 8-27-1864

CAMPING

The streets run east & west and are about 40 ft wide, on each side of each street are 12 tents facing each other so that each battery has a street to itself. At the west end of each street are the officer’s tents.
    William Ball 12-17-1861

Then spread my rubber blanket down by a fire – my woolen blanket “atop o’that” wrapped half of it around me and snoozed till morning. William Ball 4-3-1862

Last night we turned over our Sibley tents and had Shelter tents issued to us.
    William Ball 12-12-1863

5 of us put up a tarpaulin to stay in and have a stove in it that our blacksmith made out of sheet iron. Paid a dollar for it
    William Ball 10-26-63

ON CAMPAIGN

We had 20 miles to walk ere we reached New Madrid. Leaving our knapsacks at ogden to be brought on in the battery wagons. William Ball 1862
    Your Humble Servant,
    Steven W. Charles

Re: Pinney's 5th Wisconsin Battery - Quotes from Primary Sources

Pretty interesting read, I like the recipe for the griddle cakes, add salt if you want...

I'm sure the being able to read the full letters must have been nice, sure provides insight on a unit on combat operations.

S/F

DJM
    Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
    (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Sir;
      Nice information!
      If possable can you contact me threw the Reserve Website under "Staff".
      It would be appreciated!!
      [B]Rick Dennis, Major
      US Artillery Reserve Inc.
      [url]www.artilleryreserve.org[/url][/B]

[B][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Infantry is merely a buffer between two warring armies know as Field Artillery"[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdUSRedleg View Post
        Sir;
        Nice information!
        If possable can you contact me threw the Reserve Website under "Staff".
        It would be appreciated!!
        E-mail sent.
        Your Humble Servant,
        Steven W. Charles

Comment

I am looking into a position that the 5th Wisconsin occupied at Kennesaw Mt. Any information that you have concerning their activity between June 22-July 2 would be great.

Simon Mawson
          Last edited by Coatsy; 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM.
          Simon Mawson

Comment

Did he ever reply to you SMawson. I am looking for the same. What a coincidence.

Andy Cole
            Last edited by Coatsy; 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM.
            Andy Cole

Comment

Working...
            X