Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lanyard Length and Material (US Field Guns)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanyard Length and Material (US Field Guns)?

As usual, a search of the internet and the A/C search engine have not resulted in an answer.
    Also, a search of Gibbon's Artillerist Manual, the Ordnance Manual and Instructions for Field Artillery by Hunt, Barry and French have also been fruitless.

Lanyards for field guns, US in particular:

Is there a "regulation" length? Period sources seem to say "suitable length"

Does anyone have anything else?
    An original(s) that can be measured?

Echoes of Glory (Union) has one pictured on page 330 I believe and on pure guesstimation on the 12 or so loops just bigger than the handle I came out at 10 to 12 feet, which seems a little long.

ALSO.... MATERIAL....
    I wanted to replace with hemp. Would anyone agree with me that the one in EOG is hemp? It has that "matted" look that hemp sometimes has and seems to me a better option than a cotton cord as far as durability and strength and would seem that a period man would think this also? Although I believe I only saw cotton mentioned specifically in one manual...
    One manual mentions "1/4 inch sash cord"... any ideas?

This is a result of our very own Paul Bunyon known as "Misfire" DeAngelis powering through two lanyards on the same round at Fredericksburg a few weeks ago... YES, his nickname is "Misfire"... not a good one for an artillery unit, huh? :)

I thank you in advance,

Chris Sedlak
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
    Christopher Sedlak
    Iron City Guards
    (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
    [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Re: Lanyard Length and Material (US Field Guns)?

Chris, U.S. 1862, p. 132 states 12 feet length of .2 diam. cod line. The C.S. 1863/ U.S. 1861( C.S. has additions), p. 125 states 12 feet of .2 diam. cod line. This is a just before work reply but I will try to get more info for you. Hope this helps. Dennis W. Duerbeck.
    Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Dennis is dead on.
      As for Manufacturers following it, thats another story.
      I have seen hemp, and cod line both with some bizzar handles
      and the lengths also varied from 7ft to 12 ft.
      If you cant find cod rope go with hemp, my advice on
      length is stick with the 6 to 7 ft.
      Either way your doing it right.

When you pull your lanyard, the S hook is supposed
      to drop to the ground, not fly back like a bungy cord letting loose.
      If you use cod rope or hemp you will see a big diffrence.
      [B]Rick Dennis, Major
      US Artillery Reserve Inc.
      [url]www.artilleryreserve.org[/url][/B]

[B][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Infantry is merely a buffer between two warring armies know as Field Artillery"[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Contact D&M Ropesmiths at Ropesmith@aol.com. In the past, they had both cod line and hemp rope.

Here is information that they e-mailed to me a few years ago. They sent the lanyard without payment and said I could return it if not satisfied or send payment.

Thank you for your interest in D&M LANYARDS. After seeing folks use nylon cord, broomhandles and bent nails to fire there ordinance, we decided to make a "Museum Quality" lanyard. The "spec" calls for "a 3/4" X 4" hardwood handle, a 12' X .2" Cod Line cord, and an iron hook." We hand turn the handles from aged oak. We hand lay and treat the cod line from 100% cotton yarn. We hand forge our own hooks and hand splice the whole thing together. As far as we know, this is as close to original as you can get. (Our actual pattern is the lanyard at the Antietem Museum.) Our standard lanyard has a 12' cord, but we will finish it to any length you require. Many of our Confederate customers insist on a hemp cord. We will provide that on request. We guarantee satisfaction with all of our products.

Kevin French

Comment

With Dennis' permission I wanted to post one of his private messages we sent back and forth, I had asked if when he said US 1861, etc. if he meant the Ordnance Manuals... :

"Chris, The two references were from the respective Ordnance Manuals. I have the Morningside 1976 Reprint of the 1863 C.S. Ordnance Manual. Syd Kerksis explained in the Introduction to this reprint that this C.S. 1863 edition was basically the same as the U.S. 1861 but with much additional data that pertained to the Confederate Artillery. In my artillery library there is an original C. S. 1861 edition of the Ordnance Manual which is the same as the U.S. 1850. This explaination can be found in the Morningside reprint. Lanyard is NOT listed in the 1861 C. S. Manual.

I do have an original lanyard in my collection. The line to me looks like hemp and is 11 ft. 10 in. One end is stamped. "US" / "1861". I've always thought this unusual but the stamping depth is equal and uniform with worn edges meaning aging. It seems much too painstaking to be an early reenactor piece or forgery. The wooden toggle matches what can be found in either edition of "The Artillerists Manual". A curious item is a knot at the 58 inch spot. The includes the outer edge of the hook. I would like to see where this knot would be in relation to the vent. If you can help me on this I thank you. If you would like to either see it or photos let me know.

Regards, Dennis."

I then told Dennis that I did have that earlier reprint of the US Ord. Manual, Morningside publishers... believe it was the 1850 edition (I don't have it at this house) and it did not have the specs on the lanyards ... and previously it did not have references to the paper sleeves to be put on artillery cartridge bags like the later manual does...

SO... WORD TO THE RESEARCHER... FYI... watch if you are looking at the earlier Ord. Manuals... there were some additions/changes ...

Chris Sedlak
          Last edited by sedlakchristopher; 07-03-2009, 11:30 PM.
          Christopher Sedlak
          Iron City Guards
          [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

I want to wholeheartedly THANK Dennis Duerbeck, Rick Dennis and Kevin French for the great help and willingness to lend a hand.

The question is answered?

Possible sources have been identified and some issues addressed!

The devil was in the few years gap in Ord. Manuals... damn printers!

Thank you guys!

See you in the field.
            Your obedient servant,
            Chris Sedlak
            Christopher Sedlak
            Iron City Guards

Comment

Working...
            X