Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How were shells with precussion fuses loaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were shells with precussion fuses loaded?

Wouldn't there be a danger of them going off during the seating or ramming?
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: How were shells with precussion fuses loaded?

I'm no expert, but apparently not, because of the construction of the fuse. The percussion cap didn't sit atop the shell, but inside, and didn't arm until the gunners fired the piece.

Here's a page with some examples of fuses, including a nice photo of a Schenkl fuse in which you can see how the components fit together.

The Artillerist's Manual, by John Gibbon, discusses several current (1860) types beginning on page 320. The diagrams further illustrate the concept.

The degree to which the design protected these from accidental explosion also accounted for their uneven performance in the field.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I hereby proclaim Pvt. Schnapps an expert!!!
      Regards,
      Jeffrey Cohen
      Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

Jeff, Don't forget about the recess in the rammer head. The projectile was pushed home and not rammed or thrust as with solid shot or what be assumed. No. 1 would pay attention to this if he was an experienced gunner and didn't want any hands or forearms go towards the enemy. Premature explosions are another matter. Anyone would push harder and faster if a minnie was aimed at their head ! I would. Dennis W. Duerbeck
        Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Working...
        X