Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double cannister?

cannoneers,
    When double cannister was loaded was it a single load of powder and 2 cans of cannister, or double powder and 2 cans of cannister?
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Re: double cannister?

Hallo!

If I recall correctly, rifled guns had a greater option in that the projectile and the charge were separate.
    While smoothbore field piece guns had fixed ammunition where the projectile was fixed with a sabot tied to the cartridge bag. (But then, in theory, the two could be separated?)

An interesting question.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

For double canister the #2 man would knock the powder bag off the second round by hitting it against the wheel of the gun. So it was a single load of powder and 2 rounds.

BB
      Bill Backus

Comment

This is Virginia's spouse posting.

I believe it was at the battle of Antietam that I read of one account where infantry were pressed into service to work artillery. The description mentioned that they didn't know they were supposed to knock the extra powder charge off the second canister round and how lucky they were the tubes didn't burst. I think it may have been in _Landscape Turned Red_.

Michael Mescher
        Virginia Mescher
        vmescher@vt.edu
        http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

That's true. At least with Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery, some of the enlisted men from Patrick's and Gibbons' Brigades performed as artillerists. However, many were not pressed into service during the battle, but rather were transferred prior to September 17th.

Comment

Working...
          X