New Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Battery Question

I was just pondering the idea of someday starting an authentic battery (starting 1 section at a time). I have looked online at Steen Cannons and others and of course it is not cheap. Does anyone out there know of less expensive sources of correct guns, or have any advice on how you got the battery started? Thanks.
    Ken Latham
    Bon Aqua, TENN
    Independent Rifles
    Duck River Squadron

Re: New Battery Question

Either win the lottery, save your money, or volunteer to work a gun that a historical site owns.
    Bill Backus

Comment

Yeah thats pretty much my thoughts too.....
      Ken Latham
      Bon Aqua, TENN
      Independent Rifles
      Duck River Squadron

Comment

As said, outfitting a Battery with the appropriate equipment is an expensive proposition not to mention the cost for transportation and powder.
        My unit's difficulty is not enough guns but to few available and commited personnel willing to service them. We deploy as horse drawn and maneuver as much as the scenario allows which can at times be somewhat strenuous.
        We are always looking for those cannoneers up to the task.
        [COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"]Dave Kennard[/SIZE][/COLOR]
        Burrough's Battery/1st E. TN
        Knoxville, TN

[COLOR="red"][I]"I sure wish I was as good a man as my dog thinks I am"[/I][/COLOR]

Comment

Dave, I have seen that too. I have worked artillery for the NPS in the past and they had the same trouble. Is your battery absed out of Knoxville?
          Ken Latham
          Bon Aqua, TENN
          Independent Rifles
          Duck River Squadron

Comment

Actually the guns and Commander are in Blaine, TN which is just a few miles east of K'ville.
            [COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"]Dave Kennard[/SIZE][/COLOR]
            Burrough's Battery/1st E. TN
            Knoxville, TN

[COLOR="red"][I]"I sure wish I was as good a man as my dog thinks I am"[/I][/COLOR]

Comment

I drove over 1500 miles round trip to North Georgia to participate on a mounted gun crew for a LH and it was one of the fondest memories I have looking back on my tenure in the hobby...... before my end of days.

There are folks who are / were willing to make the committment.

CR

Comment

Just want to add, that the old maxim "You get what you pay for" really applies here.
                Not saying that you have to be robbed for what you get, but if it sounds too good to be true... well, you know the rest...

Personally, the only way I was able to afford a gun (Napoleon at that) was a deployment to Iraq and being single and a civilian employer who still kicked in.
                All my tax free paychecks went in the bank!
                After that, about 12 dedicated guys on the gun and we split gas and powder event by event. Works for us...

I have seen units that purchase the guns and split the cost.
                Better trust your friends real good on that road.

Good Luck!
                Chris Sedlak
                Battery G, 1st PA Light
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
                Christopher Sedlak
                Iron City Guards
                (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
                [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

This suggestion might sound unrealistic but you could always build your own gun. There is a group of guys out here, Mike Anderson included, who took the time and effort to build their own full scale guns that we take out and shoot once and a while. Might sound crazy but it is possible. :D
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Ken,

You can also go the "corporate" route, where unit members (and non-members) pony up some cash, and every $10, or $50, or $100 buys 1 share of the gun, and as the battery banks away money in the future, people can "cash out", that is, sell their shares back to the battery, and get their principal back. I don't know how you would want to work out the legalities, but that might be a way to get some working capital upfront.

Just a suggestion!!
                    [COLOR="Black"][/COLOR][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

2nd Lt. James Ward
                    Adjutant
                    1st Maryland Artillery (Dement's Battery)

Comment

Working...
                    X