Looking for information on battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on battery

I'm trying to find some information on an ancestor's artillery battery.

The battery in question is Woodruff's-Marshall's Battery [also called Pulaski Artillery and, in 1864, the 3rd Field Battery]. They apparently completed their organization at Little Rock, Arkansas, in July, 1861. It participated in the Battle of Wilson's Creek where 4 casualties were reported, then saw action at Elkhorn Tavern. Later it was assigned to McRea's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department, and fought at Prairie Grove, Helena, and Bayou Fourche. The company ended the war in the Reserve Battalion at Marshall, Texas. Its commanding officers were Captains J.G. Marshall and W.E. Woodruff.

To date, that's about all the information that I've been able to find. Can anyone over here in the artillery community help me to flesh this out any further?

Kind regards,
    Andrew "Abner" Martin
    AKM Dry Goods

Re: Looking for information on battery

Andrew,

If you havn't already read it, I would recommend "With the light guns in '61-'65: reminiscences of eleven Arkansas, ..." by W. E. Woodruff - 1903. It is currently available at Alibis.com.
    Alan Thrower
    Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
    confederateuniforms.org
    pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
    pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
    pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
    pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Alan - thanks a ton for that lead.
      Andrew "Abner" Martin
      AKM Dry Goods

Comment

An interesting fact about this unit is that it was trained and organized pre-war, and some of the training was by US Army Captain James Totten. When the war broke out Totten went North, and the battery actually faced Totten's unit at Wilson's Creek.
        Frank Siltman
        24th Mo Vol Inf
        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
        Company of Military Historians
        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
        X