Knee Guard? For Mountain Howitzers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Guard? For Mountain Howitzers

I was looking through the manual for mountain artillery this morning and noticed something I'd not paid attention to before, the knee guard or knee piece. Anyone familiar with this item? Anyone seen an extant original?

227. At the command Take Equipments, the gunner distributes the equipments. No. 1, with the assistance of No. 3, takes out the sponge. The gunner equips himself with the belt containing the hausse and priming wire, and with the knee-guard and the finger-stall, wearing the last on the second finger of the left hand.
    305. Implements and equipments required for each carriage.
    On the Carriage
    1 Handspike,
    1 Sponge and rammer
    1 Sponge cover, on the sponge.
    1 Vent cover, on the piece.
    On the Pack with the Ammunition Chests
    2 Haversacks,
    1 Tube pouch,
    1 Fuze pouch,
    1 Small tarpaulin,
    1 Priming wire, in the tube pouch.
    In the fuze pouch.
    1 Knee piece,
    1 Gunner's gimlet,
    2 Lanyards for friction tubes,
    In Tool Chest A
    1 Gunner's pincers,
    1 Fuze plug reamer,
    2 Bricoles.
    Also, while I'm thinking about it, anyone know of any extant Bricoles out there?

I was able to do some actual rapid fire drill by the manual with Fort Tejon's Pack Howitzer a couple weekends ago . They have been making steady progress at assembling the full pack howitzer equipments and tack. The Rangers and volunteers there drill quite regularly with the piece (that practice by the book really shows when they go into action). Anyways, it got me thinking about some of the equipments listed in the manual that I haven't seen. I've done field artillery and prairie carriage mountain howitzers but this was the first time doing the unique drill for the pack carriage . I just happened to be lucky to serve with a group of fellows who pay attention to the art in artillery drill. Looking forward to the next time. :-)
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Re: Knee Guard? For Mountain Howitzers

Troy, there were drawing and measurements of the knee guard for mountain howitzer gunners in the 1996 fall edition of the Artilleryman magazine. The drawings were exact, and were perfect for reproducing one of the knee pads. I made one, and was really pleased with the way it turned out. We use it for shooting our Ellsworth and Hughes Breechloading cannons. I don't have that edition of the Artilleryman magazine but know where I can get a copy. Send me an e-mail and I will see if I can get you the drawing. I cannot even find pictures of the one I made at this point.

I also have a pattern I drew up from the specs, and could make up one of the pads if need be.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Mr. Hubbard,
      When you made your knee guard, what thickness or weight of leather did you use? I'm about to make one of these for this upcoming year and would appreciate any insight you could provide.
      Matt Reed

Comment

Chris - sent you a pm but your mailbox was full. I know of an Ellsworth in a private collection, but the sight apparatus is damaged. I was wondering if there were images of your Ellsworth rifle online.
        Thanks, sorry to derail the post.
        Den Bolda
        Den Bolda

Comment

Working...
        X