Loose spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose spokes

Just got back from Jeff Stafford with my new cannon wheels while this is not germane to the 1860's this is important to those who serve the big bore. Many units carry there cannon in enclosed trailers, the advantage being no none will stick a beer can down the barrel while you're at a diner and you can pack a lot of gear in it.
    However, Jeff tells me that in the summer the box can act like an oven. Drying out the wheels and parts of the carriage, loosing everything up causing the gun to fail inspection on the field. People have brought back wheels that had loose spokes, only to have everything nice and tight when taken out the back of a pickup truck.
    Jeff also discussed the need to sand the carriage and wheels down to bare wood when repainting as layers of paint can trap moisture and cause rot.
    Today's lesson as Stafford Carriage was how to switch the wheel boxing, just like in the old days, we used sledge hammers. Jeff also has a new web site:

And no I'm not a salesman only a satisfied customer.
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: Loose spokes

Originally posted by Jeffrey Cohen View Post
    However, Jeff tells me that in the summer the box can act like an oven. Drying out the wheels and parts of the carriage, loosing everything up causing the gun to fail inspection on the field. People have brought back wheels that had loose spokes, only to have everything nice and tight when taken out the back of a pickup truck.

www.6thny.com
    Thank you for that timely piece of commentary. I'm in the midst of truck/trailer/towing/storage consideration for a buckboard. While I currently have a concrete floored barn to use for storage, that situation will change. One option I was reviewing was a fully enclosed trailer, capable of hauling/storing the wagon, other gear, and with a variety of other uses.

Still not out of the question---but it means I better look at those with a way to vent the box.....
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Re: Loose spokes

You should know that concrete truly never dries, ask anyone who put a gun safe in the basement. If you have iron rimmed wheels put some plywood under them to prevent rust.
      Regards,
      Jeffrey Cohen
      Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

Working...
      X