Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Confederate artillery uniform for Manassas

Greetings:
    My boys and I may may have to go Confederate for Manassas this year I assume artillery based in a fort might wear frock coats. I've seen some pictures of coats that had the wide red cuffs like I see on sutler row.`
    On a lighter note the 6th NY Ind. Batt is now in the possession of an original bronze Napoleon. Do you think people will mind that the barrel says 1863?
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: Proper Confederate artillery uniform for Manassas

What particular battery will you be representing?
    Bill Backus

Comment

I don't know maybe Washington Artillery.
      Regards,
      Jeffrey Cohen
      Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

Photos taken of the Washington Artillery in camp (1861) show them in shell jackets...Check out the National Historical Society's Photographic History of the Civil War - The Boys of '61.
        Last edited by Secesh; 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM.
        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I read once before, I think it was in Brassey's Uniforms of the Confederacy, that the Washington Artillery wore dark or French blue frocks trimmed in red. The confusion created required them to turn the frocks wrong side out! After the battle I think the coats were sent to Richmond or New Orleans for storage. Then they purchased the cadet gray shell jackets which became the regulation uniform for enlisted throughout the war. It would really be a sight to see some artillery batteries wearing frock wrong side out at Manassas!
          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Are you going to be part of a detachment for the National Park side in July or is this a public event? Because Kevin French of the Southern Grays and Ranger John Reid at Manassas has been giving my detachment plenty of options for early war artillery. I think for the NPS event we are protraying the Rockbridge Artillery. If Kevin see this maybe he can chime in and help you out as well.

John A. Miller
            South Mountain State Battlefield
            Monterey Pass Battlefield, Washington Township, PA.
            John A. Miller, Director
            Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Hi Jeff,

We are going to meet with John Reid in the coming weeks to finalize details, but our detachment plans on portraying Imboden's Staunton Artillery who were on Henry House Hill wearing red overshits and gray trousers. We considered the Washington Artillery, but it was decided we did not have the time to pull together that impression. As stated earlier, William Owen says in his book "In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artilllery of New Orleans", the frocks were sent to Richmand after 1st Manassas, so the impression is only correct for a limited timeframe. Hanover Brass has WA buckles, but some other details like the pin with their "try us" motto, the buff belts etc. will take some effort to find.

Regards,
              Kevin French

Comment

I believe the camp photos of the Washington Artillery in jackets are of the western theatre 5th Company.
                David Fox

Comment

Jeff,

Battle shirts are an appropriate, documented and less expensive alternative to frock coats. At the 150th First Manassas, the men of Ferguson's (SC) Artillery Co. will be wearing the 1861 Lynchburg Artillery (Latham's Battery) battle shirt, based on a period photograph. The photograph, and links to the Confederate order of battle and an article on the battle shirts of central and Piedmont Virginia units can be found here: http://lynchburgartillerybattleshirt.webs.com/ We look forward to seeing what other Confederate units will bring to the First Manassas event.

Regards,

Chris Rucker
                  Chris Rucker
                  Ferguson's (SC) Artillery Co.

Comment

What follows is a bit of historical research I’ve done into uniforms worn by the artillerymen at Charleston during the bombardment in April 1861. This research is not complete by any means, but is what I had time to do. (This does not include
                    the other uniforms worn by the infantry, cavalry, fire corps, dragoons,
                    riflemen, etc in Charleston at the time.)

Documented Uniforms:

There were a myriad of uniforms worn by the troops occupying Charleston in 1861. In some respects, the artillery uniforms were similar to what was
                    being worn by the rest of the army. (There is more to this story relating to the
                    supply situation at the time and the authorities trying to get the newly created
                    Army of SC uniformed in something other than militia garb.) Essentially,
                    however, there were a few "regular" uniforms that were widely worn by the new
                    AOSC. They were generally as follows:

AOSC Typical Styles:

Style A - Gray Frock Coat + white pants + gray kepi
                    Style B - Gray Frock + Gray pants w/black stripe + gray kepi
                    Style C - Blue Frock + white pants + blue kepi
                    Style D - Gray Frock w/green velvet stripes on seams/collar/cuffs + gray pants
                    w/ yellow or buff stripe.

In addition to the above, the following are some of the other uniforms worn by artillery units who participated in the bombardment:

Charleston Fire Department (Artillery):
                    This unit wore a Gray jacket with red trim, gray pants, and a gray kepi with the
                    letters ᴁ G on it.

Lafayette Artillery (Charleston):
                    The undress uniform of this unit consisted of a 5 button gray sack coat with 2
                    pockets on front, trimmed with red taping on the collar, front seam, and
                    inverted V on the cuffs. Trousers were gray with dark (red?) seam stripe. The
                    hat worn was a gray forage cap with a red cord stripe around the crown. Brass
                    crossed cannons and the letters LA adorned the cap.

Charleston German Artillery:
                    The fatigue uniform of the Charleston German Artillery included a gray satinet
                    jacket with yellow braid trim, dark colored pants (exact color unknown), and a
                    gray kepi w/ glazed cover.

Beaufort Volunteer Artillery:
                    This unit wore a blue frock coat, blue pants with a red stripe, and a matching
                    blue forage cap.

Washington Light Artillery:
                    Uniform for this unit was a cadet gray frock coat, matching gray pants with
                    black stripe, and a black Hardee hat pinned up on the left with a palmetto
                    cockade.

Artillery of the "Regular Service" of SC (aka Army of South Carolina):
                    In General, the uniform consisted of gray frock or shell jacket, gray pants with
                    a dark stripe, and a gray kepi.

Company C, Battalion of Artillery, Army of SC:
                    This part of the army wore gray or blue frock coats with white pants and a gray
                    or blue "french hat" (aka kepi).

Thanks,
                    Charles
                    Charles Misulia

Comment

"Artillery Enlisted Belt Plate circa 1832-1839" is how Hanover Brass describes its replica plate I have purchased for the 150th First Manassas. An original is worn by a member of the Lynchburg Artillery (Latham's Battery) in an April, 1861 dated ambrotype; our unit will wear reproductions of his uniform. The proprietor of Hanover Brass has not been able to give me a resource to learn anything about the belt plate. I'd appreciate any further documented information. A photo of the plate ("TG-1832") is at:

Regards,

Chris Rucker
                      Last edited by Ferguson's Artillery; 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM.
                      Chris Rucker
                      Ferguson's (SC) Artillery Co.

Comment

Working...
                      X