Cavalry Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry Artillery

Our Cav unit would like to add a gun to there equitment. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about confederate cav guns. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good website to get some info. Thanks
    Jason Williams
    14th Virginia Cavalry
    2nd US Dragoons
    WCWA
    Malden #188 F&AM

Re: Cavalry Artillery

You would then be Flying Artillery (mounted artillery). I know our unit 6th NY Ind. Batt. ws assigned to the cavalry. I would assume the same to be held true for the confederate organization. Are you looking for a unit to fall in with you? {hint, hint)
    Reagrds,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    6thny.com
    Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

Jason,

"Flying" is the romantic name adopted by some units of Horse Artillery. "Mounted" Artillery is something different.

Per the Artillerist's Manual (Gibbon, 1859 & 1863)

Divided.- The following is the most recent division of the United States artillery into kinds according to its duties. Heavy or foot-artillery is that portion which takes charge of and manoeuvres the siege, sea -coast, and mountain -artillery. Light or field-artillery, is that portion which manoeuvres field -pieces with troops in the field. It is divided into horse-artillery and mounted batteries. In horse-artillery, the cannoneers, of which there are eleven to each piece, are mounted on horses, from which they have to dismount before attending on the piece, the two extra men holding the horses of the rest. In the mounted batteries, formerly called foot -artillery, the cannoneers are on foot, and. remain so during the manoeuvres of the battery, except when it is desired to move at a very rapid rate, when they are mounted on the ammunition -boxes.

The horse-artillery was originally and is still designed for service with cavalry, receiving the lightest guns, which enables it to move at the same rate as the cavalry, and to keep it up for a considerable time.

In time of peace, or in the state of preparation for war, a battery of field -artillery is to be composed of four pieces. In time of war, of six or eight. In peace, each battery will have 76 men and 44 horses. In preparing for war, 100 men and 80 horses; and in war, 150 men and 110 horses. This supposes the battery to be formed of pieces of the smallest calibre, viz., 6-pdr. guns and 12 -pdr. howitzers. For the new 12 -pdr. or other heavy pieces, of course these numbers would have to be increased.
      Emphasis Mine

So "mounted" isn't the majority of the time and both types had horses. :tounge_sm

Having said the above, searching the net for "Horse Artillery" and or "Stuart Horse Artillery" should lend you a wealth of info.
      Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

We are wanting to buy or build a gun so eventually our unit could grow to a whole regiment. I just, as chairman of our group, want to get the right gun the first time so we don't have to buy another one later. Thanks for the info.
        Jason Williams
        14th Virginia Cavalry
        2nd US Dragoons
        WCWA
        Malden #188 F&AM

Comment

Stuart Horse Arty used Napoleans, Ordnance Rifles, Blakely Rifles, 12 Pdr Howitzers. Pelham had an affinity for the Napolean.
          Dave Myrick

Comment

Flying Artillery is not simply "a romantic name adopted by some units of Horse Artillery." It was a tactical use of light artillery created by Captain Samuel Ringgold and first used with amazing effect during our war with Mexico. It could easily be compared with the "shoot and scoot" method as used by today's artillery. However, many militia units adopted this moniker but were not able to perform as advertised!

Mounted field artillery requires ALL cannoneers be horsed, while similar foot artillery only needs to have guns, caissons, forges, battery wagons, drivers, and everyone above the rank of corporal to be horsed. All artillery assigned to the cavalry were mounted field units.
            Mark A. Pflum
            Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
            Member:
            CMH
            AHA
            Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Originally posted by Ringgold View Post
              Flying Artillery is not simply "a romantic name adopted by some units of Horse Artillery." It was a tactical use of light artillery created by Captain Samuel Ringgold and first used with amazing effect during our war with Mexico. It could easily be compared with the "shoot and scoot" method as used by today's artillery. However, many militia units adopted this moniker but were not able to perform as advertised!
              Thanks for the breadcrumb. I have found his manual and will be reading it. I wrote what I did because I had not found a reference to units officially being called "flying" nor in manuals and had read (somewhere) that it was a romantic term.

Originally posted by Ringgold View Post
              Mounted field artillery requires ALL cannoneers be horsed, while similar foot artillery only needs to have guns, caissons, forges, battery wagons, drivers, and everyone above the rank of corporal to be horsed. All artillery assigned to the cavalry were mounted field units.
              How did Gibbon come to refer to "foot" as "mounted" and separate from "horse"? Was Gibbon ignored?
              Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

Jason
                Were you thinking of the full blown 6 horse team with casson and cannon or were you thinking more like a jackass battery, where a mountain howitzer is broken down and packed on horses or mules. I have heard of several eastern (east of me) units that employed these teams for quick artillery.
                [U]Andy Miller[/U]
                1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
                [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

The Captain wants a breakdown gun and I'm thinking full blow pull to the spot. 'If we are going to do it lets do it!' is my thoughts. A artillery unit in our organization found a interseting article on a confederate artillery piece I would like to post and get all your thoughts on. It's in my email so how do I do this or if anyone would like to see it PM me and I'll email it to you. Thanks for all the info.
                  Jason Williams
                  14th Virginia Cavalry
                  2nd US Dragoons
                  WCWA
                  Malden #188 F&AM

Comment

From Artillery Drill: School of the Piece and Battery Manoeuvers by George Patten, 1864, the manual which Ferguson's (SC) Artillery Company uses as its basis for authentic drill: "To the Field Artillery belongs the service of the batteries which manoeuvre with the troops on the field of battle. It is divided into two parts. Horse Artillery, which is generally attached to and manoeuvres with cavalry, the cannoneers being mounted on horseback; and Mounted Artillery, which is generally attached to and monoeuvres with infantry, the cannoneers marching at the sides of their pieces, or, when necessary, mounting the ammunition chests. As this last division constitutes the only Field Artillery used in the United States service, the instruction in this book will be in reference to Mounted Artillery alone."

Hope this helps,

Chris Rucker
                    Chris Rucker
                    Ferguson's (SC) Artillery Co.

Comment

Working...
                    X