Stamps for artillery harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamps for artillery harness

I do not know if there is much interest in this or not but I thought I would post it. I found it looking through records on leather care and artillery batteries tended to talk about it more than any other group. I did not find a reply.

Entry 21 Box 237/H-301 Date: 18 July 1860 From/To: Maj. Hunt, Lt, Co. M, 2nd Arty, Fort Brown, Texas, to Craig

The Light 12 pdr section to complete my battery....
    I would respectfully suggest that a set of stamps for marking leather be sent to each battery, viz: one stamp with the designation of the battery [Lt Co. M, 2A] one for number [No.] and ten separate stamps for the numbers 1 to 0 inclusive. Each distinct piece of leather in a set of harness, saddle, breast, stirrup, crupper, valises, girths, surcingles, in fact every piece of leather, should be stamped before issue to prevent losses and the private marks, cuts, and ventilation, which men are apt to make to prevent their equipment being stolen. The stamps should be blunt, so as to mark indelibly without cutting or weakening the leather, and they should be with the battery, in order that articles repaired or fabricated may receive the proper marks.

David Jarnagin

Re: Stamps for artillery harness

David,

Any indication this recommendation was acted upon even to a limited extent on pre war harness and equipment? I am not sure if I have ever seen "any" war time artillery harness pieces so marked so it was not likely a common practice but then, given the volume that is not surprising either. Later, WWI items were often marked (often with paint so I am not sure if this was "official" either) but I am not sure about any prior to this.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Working...
    X