Shiny or Dull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny or Dull

There was a discussion in my circles today about the appearance of bronze cannon in camp and battle. Were the artillerymen more likely to keep their guns polished (circumstances permitting) or did they tend to try to make them less shiny as to not be easy targets for the enemy? I’m not really interested in opinions, I was wondering if any of you-all had seen any primary sources indicating one way or the other. Thanks!
    Kurt Holman

Re: Shiny or Dull

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 pdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	224268I think there was a discussion here on this previously, but of course, what do the manuals say? Well, neither Gibbon nor HBF talk about the surface of bronze tubes that I could find today, but there is an extensive discussion about using light to examine for cracks or fractures. Gibbon devotes some 60 pages to the discussion of iron and bronze tubes, the manufacture and maintenance. The HBF has sections on maintaining and painting wagons/limbers/caissons, and the importance of harness maintenance. The point being, at least in the Regular Artillery, maintenance of artillery and equipment was a critical topic of instruction. Keep in mind, patina is in fact a form or corrosion. Also, "hidden" or "masked" battery was a relative term until you fired your first rounds and your position was marked with billows of smoke. In the end, here are 2 images that appear to have reflective barrels for what it is worth.Click image for larger version

Name:	Union Artillery Year & Place Unknown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	224267
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Thanks, That is helpful. It is my opinion that artillerymen treated their guns like firemen treat their trucks, but I have no solid evidence on which to base that opinion.
      Kurt Holman

Comment

I personally think you are right. As a career artilleryman in the modern age, that was certainly our mentality, and when you read Gibbons, HBF, et.al., the attention to detail, the precision that goes along with being an artilleryman, the discussion of maintenance of equipment, I have to conclude for myself that was predominantly the attitude as well. Again, these are only 2 photos, and both are bronze tubes that appear to be reflective and glinting sunlight, so at least in these cases it seems they polished their tubes. Gibbons goes in to great detail about oiling iron tubes and absorbtion of oil into the pores of the metal, so you wonder why the same isn't discussed on bronze tubes. I'm sure there were exceptions, but I also like to humor myself and think I understand the mentality, especially of those regular Army artillery officers.
        Frank Siltman
        24th Mo Vol Inf
        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
        Company of Military Historians
        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I have not found any period writings about keeping bronze guns highly polished. I'd love to hear of any.
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Working...
          X